Sign in to follow this  
MasterShrive

Total War Series

56 minutes ago, Decroxx said:

The price is right!

I've always enjoyed these games, the newest one was pretty good too.

Which one are you referring to there?

I'm also looking forward to Total War Saga: Troy, but I haven't even played Britannia yet. I really enjoyed the Vikings expansion to the original Medieval... but that's a long, long time ago now when I played that.

1 hour ago, Decroxx said:

TW: Three Kingdoms was the latest one I've played - is there another out?

No I believe that's the latest, with Troy due sometime this year.

I haven't played any of the Shoguns, Three Kingdoms or Atila. I'd probably enjoy them, but they're not really the time periods/areas I'd been most interested in. Getting Shogun 2 for free though might change that.

I've also not played the Warhammer ones, though I'm sure if I was into that lore I'd really enjoy the games.

War Hammer ones are the ones Iv'e played. Love the Fantasy type setting. 

Have not tried the others but Free is right up my alley!

The Shogun ones were good as I like the Japanese history.

Three Kingdoms is based in China, which isn't a time period I know a lot about. It was difficult keeping track of the many clans, and how I was even!

The Total Warhammer games were amazing, but I always struggled with how long it took between turns waiting for every enemy army to go. 

I need to set apart the best part of a day and just play it, but that hasn't been available lately. 

2 hours ago, MiniSanders said:

I need to set apart the best part of a day and just play it, but that hasn't been available lately. 

What, can't just have it in the background while also working from home AND trying to keep two kids on track with their remote learning? :P

But yes, I hear you there for sure.

If anyone else downloads Shogun 2 I'd be keen to have a few battles just for shits and giggles. Decro and I did that with Dippie a long time ago with maybe Rome 2?

Good lord, I think you're right with that game, that would be years ago though.

I'm keen for a game for sure though.

6 hours ago, MasterShrive said:

They are very, very addictive. "Just one more turn..."

oh hell yeah! These are the types of games where I finally check the the time and go "oh shit its 4am"

Xcom series is my "wait is that the sun?" game .

Just bought shogun 2 on the steam sales for $8. I heard its the best one to start on. 

Edited by Blueberry

On 6/12/2020 at 6:04 PM, Noods said:

oh hell yeah! These are the types of games where I finally check the the time and go "oh shit its 4am"

Similar to what Blue said these games are my "oh shit is that the sun I can see?" imo despite its age Medieval II is the best one to start on, then id say Rome II 

Put a dozen hours into it and am absolutely loving the combat.

Micro managing and setting up a smaller force and taking out a larger force is so satisfying.

I did not realise the turn based part was so in depth. Already failed 3 campaigns because I didn't understand things properly ( most recent campaign got destroyed by Christian's taking over Wich surprised me)

A lot more diplomacy than I thought for a game called total war but once I learn the systems I can tell I'm going to loose a couple weeks to it.

23 hours ago, Blueberry said:

Put a dozen hours into it and am absolutely loving the combat.

Micro managing and setting up a smaller force and taking out a larger force is so satisfying.

I did not realise the turn based part was so in depth. Already failed 3 campaigns because I didn't understand things properly ( most recent campaign got destroyed by Christian's taking over Wich surprised me)

A lot more diplomacy than I thought for a game called total war but once I learn the systems I can tell I'm going to loose a couple weeks to it.

They are fantastic games. I still remember when a kid brought the original Medieval to school and I was blown away by the combat and the graphics. Nath and I bought a copy and really enjoyed the campaign. I then got Rome my first year of uni, and played heaps of it very late into the night. Hundreds of hours spent.

Did anyone give this a go? I didn't like it to start with but the more i learnt the systems the more it grew on me.
The battles in shogun 2 are way better in my opinion, i love using cavalry and archers to out micro. But the over world map and system are better in troy. I like having multiple resources instead of just one and having to take specific towns for certain resources. Also a limit on agents so i don't have to worry about 15 little agents running around the world, just 3. 

Getting pretty close from winning from the greek side. Will probably try for the Trojan side once complete. 

47 minutes ago, MasterShrive said:

Nice.

I haven't fired up Troy yet, but it is high only list once I finish my current strategy game (Phantom Doctrine).

I missed this one. Just looked it up, looks right up my alley.