MasterShrive

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I was really keen to play this game until I found a gameplay video months back and found the graphics to be severely lacking. But then I thought "Well I can deal with that" but the nail in the coffin was the pay per month crap like WoW.

So my question to anyone playing this right now, is it REAAAAALLLLYYY worth it?

How much do you like Star Wars?

That said, I'm not sure if I'm currently in the "playing it now" category due to my issue mentioned above.

Have you played Knights Of The Old Republic? If you enjoyed that, I think it is at least worth one play through as the class of your choice. You can almost play it like an SP game, though obviously those who like the MMO style will say you are missing out.

I never played that. However, if you did like that then I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy going Empire and carving up some people as a Sith. I've had the game since December, but only activated it a month back because I finally had the time to get the most out of my first month. From that point, I can decide if I want to continue with it or not.

Hmmmm I guess it might be worth it for $30. That being said it's only going to be interesting in a small form to me if others are playing it. Because knowing me so well as I do, I will get bored extremely fast if I play by myself. Sooooooo what's the game play status for other members?

Ah. In that case, you'll find people are scattered all over the place. Jib and Vulc are the only two who religiously play together, but they do this stuff for a living.

So I took the plunge and spent all of $30 on the game tonight and am currently downloading, but just wondering if anyone here is playing and if so what realm (if they exist) and faction (jedi or sith) are they?

Vulc and Jib play it together still i think. Can't remember what server they're on. Still on a US one i think because of their guild. I think!

Vulc, where art thou!

Yeah sounds like they play it full time pretty much. Which I don't want to bother them and I don't think they'll wanna come back to show me around. That's cool I'll just run around and see what happens I guess. It's only really going to be a second game for me.

Yeah Vulc and myself are on 'Dalborra' server on the Imperial side. I enjoy MMO's been hooked since playing Lord of the rings online probably 4-5 years ago. There is always something to do whether it be roll another toon, harvest materials for crafting your own armour, player vs player and in Star Wars there is a really cool story to each class with alot of interactive cut scenes

My characters: Jibada-50 Maruader

Jiba-50 Bounty hunter

Sneakath-19 Assassin

They are all Imperial classes so if you decide to play that side feel free to look me up

Well, I think my game shitting itself has been caused in part by my cache drive and in part by XFire. Tests are still inconclusive, but there seems to be a general pattern forming. This computer can't seem to update the game, so I have to plug my external HDD in to my old laptop to do the updates and check it will run. Once this works, I then seem to be able to plug it back in. It crashes on boot if XFire is open, but after that it seems to manage. Today was my last day of subscription (which they did extend by five days after I had two weeks in the repair loop), so I'm going to play it a bit more to confirm that I want to renew. Hopefully (touch wood) the crashes and repairs are now manageable.

Bioware Investigating Free-To-Play Market for SW:TOR

Seems like everyone's predictions were Jedi-like in their accuracy - Bioware is investigating the free-to-play market for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Already slated to go free up to level 15 in July, the game is feeling the pinch from other free-to-play competitors. “If it was just free-to-play games and they weren’t very good it wouldn’t even be a question but there are definitely good games out there and good games coming out, so of course all of this competition impacts your plan with what you want to do," Lead Designer Emmanuel Lusinchi told Games TM. “The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well. Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes and situations."

1.3 is looking to be a clusterfuck.

no longer can stack buffs, abilities etc. relics are not longer clickable (apply a base stat instead) and something else that i cant remember >.>

but yeah some rather unhappy feedback (more than usual lol)

Probably not going to affect myself that later stuff.

With the free to play rumors, does that mean you could start a few characters and get them to level 15 and then if you wanted to play further through with them just pay the subscription. Might help make the subscription go further.

I'd definitely look into this if it become free to play as I hate monthly subs I would not mind if it there was a once off payment but I couldn't see one ?

No once off to my knowledge mate. However, if the first 15 levels are free then I think you'd find the $15 worthwhile to play through the rest of your characters story. Or, if you didn't like that story line, then I guess in theory you could try something different.

I'd definitely look into this if it become free to play as I hate monthly subs

im not being funny, but there is no such thing as "free to play". there are always catches and roadblocks put in place on purpose to draw money out of you.

besides, mmo's provide 100's of hours of entertainment for a small fee. compare that to some shooters with 6hrs content for $100 lol

i doubt you will ever see a once off sub ever again. lotro did it but my guess is it nearly ruined them till they went "FTP".

PS. 15lvls of play are rarely enough to get a taste for an mmo. most ive played are bad for drawing people in in the initial levels but get better as it goes on. just not enough variety and skills to try out.

eg. youll only see 2 planets in 15lvls. i guess its there for those on the fence not sure if they want to try it and its a "risk free" way of doing so.

In case anyone is interested, those with the game (I presume everyone) are able to invite friends for a 7 day free trial. If someone's wanting to have a bit of a look at it I'm happy to send an invite.

Well... I've finally finished this. And by "finished", I mean I've finally played through the Jedi Knight story line (which was my main aim). It took me about 130 hours. The issue being, as a completionist, I struggled to pass up any quest; so I spent a lot of time getting up to level 35 or so helping every old lady who needed her pet retrieved from the nearest tree. After that, I started to just concentrate on the story, which meant I was underlevelled for most planets from this point forward but I was able to move through a lot quicker.

I greatly enjoyed the experience and the game in general. This is my first MMO experience, but I played it more like an SP game (like KOTOR for example). I did like it, but I can see how the experience would be more rewarding if you played through with other people. I worked this out first hand in the end because after spending X amount of hours to get to the final boss on the final planet, I was too underlevelled to beat him :? So I called in the cavalry, and Andy and Sheldon joined me this evening to finish off the story. Certainly good fun, and I can see why flashpoints etc. would be good to play through with people you know.

So my plan for now is to let the subscription run out (only four more days on it anyway) and then once the game becomes free to play I might do some flashpoints with Andy and Sheldon and maybe look at playing through as a Bounty Hunter or a Smuggler. That said, I'm certainly in no rush, as I've got some other games to attend to in the meantime anyway. I may or may not be a bit more active in BF3, but no promises there, as everything still seems to be running smoothly without my presence. With footy finishing I should also have a bit more time on my hands.