MasterShrive

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I was wondering if anyone else was looking in to this MMO? As you know, I'm a Star Wars tragic, and am strongly considering getting this game when it comes out. My worry is, that if I do, I'll never do anything else again - lol. If anyone else is interested I might keep some updates etc around here. Vulc showed me the official site: http://www.swtor.com/

Are you a Star Wars man Krak?

Good call on the Western shooter too. I though I read recently in Atomic a review (or preview) for a new Western MMO. I may have been wrong though.

though i dislike ewoks and jaja binks beyond words or appropriate expression, I do like Star Wars and GOOD science fiction.

Regarding westerns, i checked out wikipedia on western PC games. a couple look ok. Red Dead Redemption and this one  both on youtube.

LMFAO. You and I need a good catch up on this new topic I think Krak ;) You a Stargate or Star Trek man as well? I know Mothy is mad Stargate (Stargate Universe starts this week) and I think Zonny was back in the day. Can't remember who else I used to converse with on the subject.

That Red Dead Redemption game looks like the one I saw in Atomic PC Magazine too.

Where is Mothy? I was going to start a thread.

Like them all. I even liked Red Dwarf!

Sadly, it looks like Red Dead Redemption is not PC, whereas Call of Juarez Bound in Blood is.

I once played battlefront II and outcast(only against bots). And they were awesome, it really gives you the feel of being overwhelming than playing COD. Is this one a RPG like fallout 3?

Firstly, you're assuming I wouldn't be looking at any of the other editions. Secondly, "large amounts of money" depends on your point of view. I'm not going to spend $100 on something if our country isn't even supported and thus it is murky at best with what we would get. There would also then be issues on playing on foreign servers (not a drama in itself, as we know MMOs and ping don't matter a great deal) but if we then get local servers can characters etc. be ported across? As you know, I don't have a lot of experience with MMOs, but at the same time I don't really want to pay more money again to move a character, assuming it can happen at all.

Have we got links to these confirmations that it will work in the non-listed regions? As it seems like a large gamble to take unless things are from official sources. I can just see this splitting people who do play the game, and ruining it to some degree for those who wait because they'll be behind the eight ball right from the start. Hopefully we hear more as the release date gets closer.

Probably not. So not sure if they would go with a general region one, Oceanic for example. As was pointed out on another forum though, that would result in a lot of non-English speaking players which would make it difficult for us anyway. If there is no intention of giving us local(ish) servers though then the only reason for locking us out is because they want to test it elsewhere first and don't consider us worthy of inclusion at this point.

as i said, there is no issue with it running in aust. only thing not supported at this stage is pre order which is no big deal seeing how easy it is to get a copy from amazon.

as for servers, always in the US and Europe (euro servers bad for ping as it hopes through asia). only WoW does but they are in a whole other league of their own. also it depends on company if hosted on east or west coast of US which really is only a small ping difference. avg you'll face is 250-280 which is bugger all for MMO's (somewhat like running at ~80 in a fps).

pings are a non issue. what would be an issue is how they manage the deployment. server lag/hardware lag/ lack of responsive updates and support kills a game.

having said that, lack of recognition for aust is a HUGE worry and will most likely result in issues faced by other games such as dud keys, late releases, and foreign speaking GM's during oceanic prime time......

do any MMO type games get aussie servers? i could imagine the costs of running a server like that over here would be huge.

not so much of an issue. bigger issue would be lack of control of the environment and hardware. WoW isn't all that demanding and has a lot of admin support tools. most modern mmo's really couldn't achieve that.

but as you will see, it is so much better to be on a 'unofficial aussie' US server anyway as it means a lot more ppl to play with and practically a 24/7 environment.

oh and server transfers are often a "premium' service (read: paid for) added later in the game, though the current trend from Rift is to make the service free.

Would be good if they go the Rift option, as we don't want to be a fractured community if we have a few clannies and then mates who join servers over time. Can a server become "full"? ie, can it only support a limited number of accounts? I'm not talking connections as such, but more thinking if a few get it upon release, and a few more get it a bit later when it is released locally, then will those later people still find slots on the server or could it in theory fill up?