MasterShrive

Elite Dangerous

It was only a matter of time, but the Thargoids are back!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/em6m2p/emergency_broadcast_the_thargoids_have_returned/

Six systems are under Thargoid incursion:

Pleiades Nebula

- Celaeno

- Asterope

- Atlas

Witch Head Nebula

- Witch Head Sector DL-Y d17

- Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-9

- Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-11

All of them have a damaged station that you can help evacuate, which is good for navy rank (if the factions are Fed or Imp), as well as Anti-Xeno combat zones in the affected systems.

20200109194118_1.jpg

20200109194131_1.jpg

So tonight, @TheLaw & I did some rescue trips at one of the damaged stations. After he logged off for the night, but before he left, I was Hyperdicted by the Thargoids enroute to another system to get my other ship. Two of them dropped in & disabled my ship, while they did a scan for their "contraband". They found nothing and flew off, and I made it to my destination. After all this time since they first appeared, I finally experienced this event for myself, and well damn son, that was some freaky stuff!

20200109230612_1.jpg

Edited by Predz

I've seen lots of alien movies before....so we kill Predz before he infects all of us, right? :P

I heard some mentions that the new patch is bringing in a "resource limit" on the amount of void opals you can sell to a station? Lots of fear this is a nerf to opal mining :(

Haha *shows abnormal alien growth on back* "Kill me..."

And, full patch notes have dropped - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/january-update-patch-notes.535051/

And here is the particular one that stands out,

Added supply and demand volumes for certain, high-end minerals. Now, trading goods such as Void Opals is more realistic; markets can still offer a high buy price, but they will offer less as the demand is met. As part of this change, these high-end minerals will now be demanded more by specific economy types. This change will affect the following commodities:

- Alexandrite

- Benitoite

- Grandidierite

- Low Temperature Diamond

- Monazite

- Musgravite

- Painite

- Rhodplumsite

- Serendibite

- Void Opal

Way I see it, is yes, we probably won't be able to sell all of our mining hauls at one station if their demand isn't high enough, so station hopping to sell full cargo holds could become a thing. Sell prices are supposed to be able to reach the levels they do now (eg. 1.7mil per Void Opal at certain stations). It will be interesting to see if the demand of those "specific economy types" is high enough to not need to station hop.

Welp, I've been playing since the update & the subsequent patch (the original update added stuttering issues)

And of course, one of the things that was a concern, was the changes to high-end material mining. Last night, I started doing some mining for LT Diamonds, as Void Opals have dropped in value (from around 1.6-1.7mil/unit pre-update to around 770k/unit post-update), while the diamonds are still reaching values of 1.1mil/unit.

I managed to find a triple LT Diamond hotspot, which was pretty good for finding them. After gathering 400t, I travelled to a station about 170ly away from the hotspot system to sell them. Here's the results,

Spoiler

20200120145734_1.thumb.jpg.f7c195ae56ece4743a3ed42edef53945.jpg20200120145806_1.thumb.jpg.d83e8733721e32acc36760817d69e6e1.jpg20200120145821_1.thumb.jpg.71e0402ae9110a36d4092c66e4f0353d.jpg

So yeah, unless things change, some mining has dropped in value. Some reasons point to bringing it more in line with other in-game money making activities, some think the nerf was justified because it was paying out too much. Whatever it may be, those Fleet Carriers better not be some exorbitant amount, or else the grind for creds will be one for the ages.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, Predz said:

Void Opals have dropped in value (from around 1.6-1.7mil/unit pre-update to around 770k/unit post-update)

Lol, perfect.

So it is a big rip to void opal mining :( I don't understand the devs goal, it isn't an MMO so they don't need to have a high retention on players by making them grind. The game feels like it should be somewhat accessible with a small grind for most parts. 

Yeah, tis the end of an era for Void Opals, now they're hovering around 650k/unit since I last posted about them, and the one instance there was a station selling for over 1mil, it only lasted about 2 hours, so unless you had some ready to sell right away, yeah nah, the regular payouts now are shite! Low Temp Diamonds are pretty much the only one above 1mil/unit now, and it does have the advantage of being both surface & deep core mining.

But yeah, I don't get what Frontier is trying to achieve with these sort of changes either. It's bad enough they reduced the value of the high end minerals, but then they don't make any of the other money making activities more appealing. Like, if they wanted players to do more missions like cargo/combat/passenger etc., I don't see why they couldn't have given them some higher payouts, to compensate for the mining taking a hit.

Some days before this patch, I'd rather spend hours mining for Opals to get a nice chunk of change, than engage with the missions that sometimes require more work to complete. It's like when I used to do those wing cargo missions a while back (sometimes solo). It was only later that I realised that they some of them had some abysmal payouts for the amount that needed to be delivered (sometimes in the thousands of tons), and it was worse if the destination was further away & threat of pirates as a secondary objective, constantly interdicting you when you entered the destination system. While pirates were a thing in mining, it was nowhere near as intrusive & didn't become a crutch.

And it doesn't help when the Wing system is constantly been ignored by FDev, and are still not working as they should. Doing the pirate massacre missions while in them is a nightmare, when the nav lock still likes to drop you out hundreds of km away from your wing mates, each member of a wing sees a different mission target, so we pretty much can't all converge on the same point and drop in at the same time, which is what it should have been when they first introduced it. But nah, let's not fix that, let's nerf stuff that didn't need to be, or at the very least, not to the extent like it has.

While I still jump on and play every couple of days or so, if the Fleet Carriers & the 2020 update don't have anything substantial to add & mix up the gameplay (especially being a paid update), the game will either not progress any further and be stuck in a grindy stalemate, or just keep getting nerfed without something else being buffed to compensate.