MasterShrive

Elite Dangerous

3 hours ago, Predz said:

Speaking of the game balancing changes

So my Vulture might be able to make actual money now... Ooooooo... I might have to look into it again

Two new community goals have started. One is food deliveries (Trade) & the other is defending the shipments (Combat). Both are based out of Stillman Hub in HIP 22550

https://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals/

There's also a reward for both goals - 'If successful, the Free Marlinists of Carinae in conjunction with other Marlinist factions will give the top 75% of pilots a fully engineered, focused and lightweight point defence module.
The module will be placed in storage at Stillman Hub in the HIP 22550 system by the 23rd of January 3307.'

I signed up for the combat CG earlier today, managed to get around 3 mil in bounties, which was top 25% (at the time the screenshot was taken).

I'll be taking the carrier out there again to do some more over the weekend.

20210115153918_1.jpg

Did some more today, ended up with around 30 mil in bounties. Managed to push to the Top 10% for the CG (as of when I logged off earlier), which is currently on Tier 2/5.

My carrier is in HIP 23155 (about 5LY from the CG system). If I don't do more tonight, I'll probs do a bit more tomorrow.

The combat CG is over, making it to Tier 5. I ended up in the top 25% with about 32 mil in total bounties, with another 30 mil on top of that.

The food CG is still ongoing (Tier 3/5), but I grabbed my reward money & jumped the carrier back to LHS 215.

Apart from that, I'm still planning to do a Guardian site trip with the carrier at some stage.

20210119032858_1.jpg

FDev dropped som pre-alpha Odyssey mission gameplay. Also, the alpha is due to be released on the 29th of March.

FDev had a starport tour stream earlier this morning & they posted the tour of a orbital station's hub as a standalone vid,

And the alpha rollout has been posted. The phases are planned to be released weekly, but could be extended if they need more feedback - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-alpha-rollout-plan.567846/

WL2wWM9.png

Some more alpha from players coming in from ObsidianAnt recently. It is very alpha, but it's interesting to see how it's going to look/feel. Interesting to see different tools and cutting access panels, using keypads etc. I wish they'll add more little "mini games" like that. More interactive stuff, like Among Us. Otherwise yeah, cutting a panel for 1000x time will get stale.

Yeah, once the phases start rolling out, the alpha should (hopefully) get more interesting. The tools are nice (especially the arc cutter), good for scavenging, bypassing security/defenses & stuff like that. We're yet to access the other tool for exploration which is added in Phase Three.

It's Phase Two I'm looking forward to, being the combat-focused one, that supposed to add 'combined arms' faction warfare (essentially ground-based conflict zones). In the first phase, combat has been a disappointment. The gunplay definitely needs more polish & enemies sometimes feel a bit 'spongey' for my liking. I hope with the combat suit & possibly some more weapons, it might make it better, but only time will tell. The guns available atm are alright, but some of their physical appearances are meh. The kinetic guns look like nerf guns & the laser guns look like some obscure artist designed them. Considering what ship-mounted kinetic & laser weapons look like now, it would be nice to see the handheld guns take some design cues from them at some point. (And yes, I want a handheld Multi-Cannon!)

Well, apart from the expected bugs (both new & returning) that comes with the average Elite Dangerous update, it's been up and down thus far.

I've had the first ground conflict zone bug out the AI of the NPC's, leading them to stand in one spot for the whole battle. I've played a couple more since the first hotfix and they started moving around. The new lighting is hit & miss, and I've had the environment disappear when entering a building. I've also had issues with some missions not completing, despite the objectives being marked as complete. I've also seen floating NPC's & mission terminals in station hubs. The plasma weapons are nice, especially the pistol. With the slower fire rate, you have to lead the target if they're moving to get hits.

There is a definite need for more patches to sort out the issues present atm, but seeing as Odyssey has broken the previous peak for Steam players since the game launch, it's got that going for it.

Ah interesting. All those bugs make sense when they went from "Alpha" to release in a span of weeks. Very very suss. I'm keen to play a bit again but this is all off putting - might wait for more fixes.

Yeah, there's been a 2nd hotfix since I last posted, so at the very least, they're doing their best to rectify issues. However, another thing that happened that I didn't mention, is that with the influx of players, turned out fleet carrier jumps were causing crashes, so they've suspended all carriers from plotting jumps, on top of a temporary increase of maintenance costs going back up to their original amounts when they launched (the 2nd hotfix did fix that). I would say that it does need more fixes before jumping in.

I also think they should have done more before releasing it so soon after the "Alpha" ended (more like "Early Access", am I right!). When it's working as intended, it's good. When it's not, it's a mess.

Edited by Predz