MasterShrive

Elite Dangerous

Yep, Col 285 Sector CC-K a38-2, Planet 1, Ring B is the new LTD triple hotspot. I went out there a couple of days ago, and the system and the next closest were chock full of carriers, though I managed to jump my carrier to the 2nd closest system.

I did jump back to LHS 215 (where it is now), then jumped to Anlave (the closest Carrier Admin system) & installed the Shipyard & Outfitting addons. While there's nothing on sale (I gotta buy the stuff in packs, can't even buy individual items), it means that now you can transfer your own ships/modules to/from the carrier.

I did see some vids about the tritium trading. I thought something like that could happen, as there are those stations selling it way below the average price (around the 45-55k range), so I see how it could be profitable (and with less work than mining, only real threat might be interdiciting pirates). Even better, I could load up the carrier with extra Tritium, jump to the station with one of the best sell prices, ferry the Tritium to the station and back (as long as the demand is there). If the demand runs out, jump again, rinse & repeat.

22 hours ago, MiniSanders said:

I'm going to fly my "mining" ship across to LHS 215... that way if I am on at the right time I am nearby at least :P

Flick either Predz or myself a message if you need someone to tag along if you need fuel! 

Have my 2 ships over there now, I was only about 10 jumps away.

Need to work out what I want to do though... mining is ok, but I find it boring very quickly... prefer jumping and trading

I can relate. Mining can be good money, but it can get boring. The last lot I did took a few hours, and then I had to jump to multiple systems with a full cargo hold of LTD's (this was pre-carrier), because the stations that I thought were selling at a decent price, were nowhere near that when I docked at them. When I finally found one, it was still around 300k below the best selling price, and while the only costs to me were fuel, limpets & ship maintenance, still was a bit tilted that I had to sell them for the lesser amount.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at the tritium trading (or just more trading in general), especially now I've got the carrier's storage.

Yeah I might respec my ship this afternoon and fit it out with more storage again... see if I can figure out this Tritium trading

Edit: Or not... game crashed when I was refitting my ship... and now crashes on loading into the starport :(

Edited by MiniSanders

Ok can safely say that Tritum trading is a good way to make money...

Spent about 3 hours this afternoon trading. Went from having about 16mil and an Asp Explorer to 28mil and a Krait Mk2

So all up I think I made about 50mil

I ended up selling around 5,000t of the 10k Tritium I had bought for about 4k/t, and parked the carrier at a station selling for about 50k/t (still made about 45-46k profit/t). Made about 200mil+ in the end.

I kept the other 5k, because I'm thinking of stockpiling more Tritium, as I'm thinking of doing the Colonia/Sagittarius A* trip sooner rather than later.

Edited by Predz

5 minutes ago, Predz said:

I kept the other 5k, because I'm thinking of stockpiling more Tritium, as I'm thinking of doing the Colonia/Sagittarius A* trip sooner rather than later.

Lettuce know when, cause i wanna do that. 

Patch 2 has dropped for the Fleet Carrier update - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fleet-carriers-update-patch-2-downtime-and-patch-notes.549577/

Also, with everything pretty much gathered that I need for the trip to Colonia, I'll be heading out there in a few days/this weekend coming with the carrier. The trip will take 3-4 days with approx. 40+ jumps, each taking 20mins. I'll have to spend time in the game making the individual jumps, as I can't plot a long range route with the carrier like you can with a ship (because there's no way for the carrier to fill it's fuel tank with stored Tritium automatically, I'll have to manually transfer it to a ship's cargo hold from the storage, then to the fuel tank).

I plan to be out there for a couple of weeks when I get there, as it's not only about the Colonia engineer unlocks, but I also want to see the galactic centre (Sagittarius A*). If you want to get back to the bubble before I head back, there are a few possible options,

1. Fly back with a high jump range ship, but this could still entail hundreds of jumps.

2. Some player groups are setting up some 'ferry' services with their Fleet Carriers. I'm not sure if they're in operation yet, but I can look into it.

3. Store your ship at a station, buy a Sidewinder, get blown up, spawn back in the bubble. This however, can lead to a very expensive transfer of your ship, depending on the ship model & modules installed (eg. an Anaconda took 2-3 days to transfer back, at a cost of more than 300+ million credits).

If anyone is interested in making the trip, let me know (either here or DM me in Discord/Steam) & dock your ships on the carrier (SFS-FC Phoenix, currently in LHS 215). Shipyard & Outfitting is available, so you can also bring any extra ships/modules you want, as transfer times & costs between the bubble & Colonia aren't cheap & take ages to move.

Edited by Predz

Decided to land on @Predz carrier and go for the trip into the nether...
While landing I thought I would get some screenshots of the scale of it. My poor little Python is tiny.

Carrier.jpg

Carrier_close.jpg

Python.jpg

Welcome aboard @MiniSanders!

After talking to @TheLaw (who is also going), I've decided that I'll start the jumps on Sunday, as to allow a couple more days for him & anyone else who might be interested in going to hop aboard. I was thinking of maybe doing some update posts while making the trip & when we get there. Based on a trip planner for carriers, it worked out at around 15 hours (approx. 44-46 jumps) to get there, so it could take 2 days (doing all-day jumping, at least 8 hours a day) or 3 (split them into smaller blocks, maybe 5-6 hours each).

Edited by Predz

Welcome aboard @TheLaw!

I might begin the trip on Saturday if it's just the three of us. I'll wait and see if there are any other takers today (Friday).

I haven't had time to play this despite that time we fired it up together; but I'm more than happy to read reports on how the jumps go. Best of luck.

After all the jumps, manual refuels, startups & cool downs...

We made it!

Colonia was a bit chocker with carriers (it is the system for buying them in these parts after all), so I jumped the carrier to the Ogmar system (about 8.62LY away).

Checked out Jaques Station (a station with FSD capabilities, originally built in the bubble)

Spoiler

20200705185514_1.thumb.jpg.4bc9afe8288d63067146c3a7054113f4.jpg20200705185655_1.thumb.jpg.1abde151e60a4d738a059c6731f682b2.jpg

Once I've had a short break after all that travel, gonna get the engineering stuff done, travel around the region a bit & prep for the trip to the galactic centre.

On 17/07/2020 at 1:36 AM, TheDredd said:

Wow you guys look like you are having fun over there. I'm on my way back to the bubble from the witch head nebula (first expedition).

Nice!

I've been out to Witch Head a few times, doing Search & Rescue when the Thargoids first attacked the colonists sent to the sector (as well as checking out some of the Thargoid surface sites in the area) & to max out the engineer there. Furtherest I've gone in that general direction was the Orion Nebula. If the Horse Head Nebula wasn't permit locked, I would have liked to travel out there.

In current happenings with the trip... the latest patch has made Tritium (the Fleet Carrier fuel) harder to get, especially out Colonia way. So I'm currently doing some combat missions to get some more credits, since I blew through a fair chunk buying Tritium for the carrier pre-patch. I'm hoping that the markets might normalise in a few days so that these stations have more than a couple of tons in stock. If it doesn't fix itself, I'm probably gonna have to scrape together enough fuel to get the three of us back to the bubble and leave the trip to the Galactic Centre (Sagittarius A*) until another time.

Update: FDev is aware of the Tritium shortages & is now working on another patch. No current ETA on when said patch will be released.

Edited by Predz
Dev update

The Fleet Carriers Update - Patch 4 drops on the 3rd of August* @ 9:00pm AEST, with downtime of approx. 15 mins.

Patch notes - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fleet-carriers-update-patch-4-patch-notes.551646/

*Originally was scheduled for release on the 29th of July. They found errors during testing, hence the delay.

Edited by Predz
Date changed for patch release

Welp, it seems the patch has fixed some of the mining related issues. I managed to get about 100t of Tritium in about an hour, which is better than 32t in the same time frame before the patch. Tritium is still single digits in Colonia stations, hopefully they might normalise over the next few days.

In better news, while I was mining, I started taking to another CMDR who just got to Colonia with his carrier. I mentioned that I'm trying to get the fuel we needed to do the trip to Sag A*. So, he ended up selling me 4k of his Tritium for my carrier, and now thanks to him, we are go for the Galactic Centre trip!

I'll probably be departing either today (after I wake up) or Wednesday. The return trip is about the same distance as the Bubble-Colonia one-way, so I should be able to jump the carrier out to there in one day, head out for a bit so you guys who came along can see the centre, then we can either head back to Colonia, hope the stations have restocked their Tritium (or mine it) & fill it up again to head back home. Or, I try to mine it near the centre, fill it up that way & head directly back to the bubble from there.

Either way, I'll post the itinerary when I start the trip.

Edited by Predz