I am final upgrading from my Laptop to a brand new PC and i have picked all my parts and should have them all in the next 2ish weeks

Parts list:

CPU: i7 9700K

GPU: Asus Rog strix RTX 2080

Motherboard: Asus Rog strix Z390-F

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB

AIO: NZXT Kraken x52 

Power Supply: Corsair HX750 Platinum

Storage: Crucial 500gb NVME M.2, 1tb Samsung EVO SSD

Case: Corsair 500D SE 

Nice mate. No better feeling that getting a new machine up and running.

Of course, there's no other dread like pressing the power button only to have nothing happen. It's usually at that point I realise I haven't turned on the PSU.

If it's your first; watch plenty of videos, read instructions, and if you have to force something to breaking point it's probably not meant to go there.

Pretty similar to the build I did last year with an updated GPU.

Not sure what your budget is like but unless you know you are going to get into overclocking there is no need for the "K" CPU (would free up some money to spend in other areas or save). I thought I would overclock ... yet to do so (mainly because I don't really have the time or patience to spend half a day for stress testing etc). The brief foray into it I had mixed results even just using the MB O'C options. I saw PCCG are now doing some bundle options (limited) which looked like there was some savings to be had (or pays/part-pays for an upgrade)

The benchmarks I have seen published on the 2080 vs 1080Ti have marginal benefits (1-3%) of the new card but given they are around the same price I guess it is a more future proof option. The saving above would get you some way towards a 2080Ti

Not to crap on anyone. New gen AMD CPU's announcing next week at Computex, not the best time to be buying new parts!

Could also be Intel+nvidia showing something new too

Also, 500GB NVMe is too small the be useful. You should go 1TB NVMe and 500GB SSD if budget is a concern. Why get a blazing fast drive to hardly make use of it?

Edited by Phobos

I did think abut the fact computex is next week i may wait and see what intel and nvidia have to show but would be surprised if they release something majorly new as the had a killer year last year with new gen stuff

That's a pickle on time then.

Also, if you want to save ~$64, don't get that Kraken, get a Noctua NH-D15 (SE or normal, check which fits on your motherboard). Exact same performance(Noctua edges slightly out), same noise. Less points of failure, save 60 bucks! 

Lmao Duckz, I was about to edit my post about it. But cases are subjective to the buyer these days.....

I'm not a fan of the $400 glass box either. Then again, I stick my case under my table and don't look at it.

Edit, yeah nah. Change my mind, Aussie. Get a cheaper case and get better size NVMe drives! :D If you want, just a suggestion <3

Edited by Phobos

I really liked the idea and look of the 4 sided glass cases however the only way to ventilate is through gaps where the sides join and the dust would be horrendous

19 hours ago, AussieNinja159 said:

I was also considering getting the NZXT 700i instead of the corsair 500D

If you like the case, go with the non i model. That controller is a little offsetting. Possible inbuilt microphone, needs to be logged in to use the software. From reviews it doesn't seem very good. More of a headache..

Cases is tricky atm. We don't really have any new models. All mostly from 2016+ Another reason to wait for computex - could be new ones. That's why I'm planning for a mid year build. Sucks you can't wait, Aussie :(

Edited by Phobos

yeah its was poor timing, I was gonna go with the corsair as it does include the $90 corsair commander pro controller and the 3 RGB fans included in the front of the case are about $130 total so the case itself isnt that expensive if you think of whats included. I also really like the look of it. 

I have heard that the controller in the NZXT isnt the best and can be a pain in the ass

I'm waiting for the NAVI GPU's... hopefully they have a good price point around the 2060 with 2070 performance

Also trying to decide if I upgrade my 1600X to a newer Ryzen

If the benchmarks actually line up with what they're saying, AMD will be the new king for gaming CPUs with a lower price. Intel will have to drop their 9th gen prices to match, soon(tm).

Then the 3700X = 9700K, 30% faster mutlithread. Just crazy stuff for a lower price, ~$170

All in all, we need game benchmarks to see if it makes a real world difference.

@MiniSanders This might help for Zen+ comparisons. I'm sure there will be heaps of real benchmarks soon:

419wgi3boo031.png

Edited by Phobos

imo i'd wait for reviews to come out, dont jump on the band wagon, ive seen too many people get hyped over something and it turns out to be not what they thought/was said to be. 

Be interesting to see what AMD show at their E3 presentation, looks like it will be focused on the NAVI GPUs.

And yeah @TheLaw will be waiting to see how they do. If nothing else it might make the 2060's cheaper :D