Sign in to follow this  
MiniSanders

Possible GPU Upgrade

So I'm getting itchy feet on spending money on my PC, and have worked out that my GPU seems to be my major bottle neck currently.

I have an RX480 4GB at the moment.

I'm not looking at spending mass amounts of money, and so I'm currently torn between the 1660Ti and the 2060 (AMD don't seem to have anything at the moment sadly)

Monitor at the moment is 1080p, but I'm looking at upgrading it at some point, along with looking at VR headsets.

And I currently have a Ryzen 1600X to pair it with.

Anyone got any suggestions to go either way at this price range?

I'm not up with performance in the midpoint price range at present. I think leaning towards the 2060 could future-proof you a little more for when you upgrade from 1080p. Personally, I am a huge fan and convert of the ultra-wide format, which also doesn't require as many pixels as 4K. But you could have a look at some benchmarks on those cards with your possible future upgrade path in mind (ie, see what they can do in ultra-wide or 4K). Obviously they'll smash 1080p. Even 1440p is a worthy upgrade.

I think AMD were going to drop a new card quite shortly, but I could be wrong there too. I wouldn't bother waiting though unless it was imminent within the next month.

Since you want to upgrade your monitor, I'm assuming to 1440p. 2060 is the better long term investment.

AMD is releasing their Navi and Ryzen 3 this year. Some rumors say July with Computex, others say October/2020. Might be worth waiting..

Or as Shrivey suggested. Buy the 2080 Ti and not upgrade for 6+ years. :P

Edited by Phobos

Haha, I don't have the $1500+ to spend on a GPU. $600ish for the 2060 is pushing the money I have.

I will probably go either 1440p or widescreen, hadn't really decided on monitor yet... and with Nvidia being forced to accept some free sync stuff I don't have to worry about either G-sync or Free-sync on monitors

I was interested in what AMD come out with next, and this may wait until tax time anyway

Hijacking Mini's thread rather than making a new one, sorry Mini :P

I've recently received quite a bit of money, and I am possibly looking at upgrading my GPU, I am undecided if I should get a 2060 Super or a 2070 Super and I'm also wondering if my CPU will cause a "bottleneck" with my current CPU is an i5 7500 non-K, my current GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB which has served me well over the last 4 -5 years, but I'm noticing its struggling to maintain 60 FPS in any game that was released prior to 2019/end of 2018. Any help or suggestions would be mint 👌

I'm not up with the best performance per buck benchmarks at the moment. There might also be new 3000 cards coming soonish? If you wanted to wait, you could then get a 2000 card possibly a bit cheaper. But if you're keen to get your hands on something now then either of those cards should be suitable and get you through the next couple of years.

I'm worried that with the 3000 series that my PSU won't be compatible as there is a rumour circulating that they will require a 12 pin power cable :/ When I'm home I'll have a look at some reviews and benchmarks, cheers Shrivey! 

Yeah personally I wouldn't even worry about a 3000 series card; but new cards should see prices of existing ones come down for you a bit. Then again, there could be supply issues, delays, etc. etc. - so if you know what card you want after doing a bit of research, I think just get it.

7 minutes ago, MasterShrive said:

Nice. Might even be able to sell some of the old stuff to make some cash on the side.

That is the plan!

Well, it's ordered, hopefully if all goes to plan I'll be gaming on a new rig by the end of the week! Ended up swapping the 10700KF for the K model as the KF model doesn't have an integrated GPU. 

Anyone got a rough idea on how much an i5 7600, GTX 1060 and an AsRock H270 Fatal1ty Performance mobo are worth these days? Would ultimately like to sell as one complete package.

image.thumb.png.61c40f5230fa9c635187e319dbf4a3bd.png

Nice work mate.

I couldn't even ballpark current prices for older tech. See what someone offers it for on Ebay. Start high if you're not in a rush - you can always go lower.

I ended up sticking with AMD for everything...

My system is

• Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Radeon 5700 XT

Looking at upgrading the CPU soon, but still not seeing anything that really hammers it, so haven't bothered.