Sign in to follow this  
MasterShrive

Possible New Build

What a mess of a new generation it's been lately. Nvidia and now Intel...

Looks like to me the 8700K is the sweat spot for the cost - for gaming only.

Edited by Phobos

I don't know. For pure gaming where you don't get benefits from the large core/thread counts the 9600k looks to be awesome value. Basically the same gaming performance as a 8700k/9900k as it has similarly high clock speeds but about $120 less. It comes at the cost of being only 6 cores/6 threads with the 9900k the only one getting hyperthreading now. But if you aren't stressing cpu's with those cpu heavy video editing or something like CAD programs etc you may not see any benefit from the 8700k and up. 8700k does look to be the best all round chip a this time though.

I think you're right Phoby. Although if I'm going to upgrade I think I'd go with the latest generation. 9900K, as probably expected, doesn't seem to offer much for the extra dollars gaming wise. So 9700K is probably where I would look.

I went to PC Case Gear out of interested to see what a 2080 RTX is worth. Didn't realise the RRP was also in the model name. Yikes!

1 minute ago, Unlikely-Emp said:

I don't know. For pure gaming where you don't get benefits from the large core/thread counts the 9600k looks to be awesome value. Basically the same gaming performance as a 8700k/9900k as it has similarly high clock speeds but about $120 less. It comes at the cost of being only 6 cores/6 threads with the 9900k the only one getting hyperthreading now. But if you aren't stressing cpu's with those cpu heavy video editing or something like CAD programs etc you may not see any benefit from the 8700k and up. 8700k does look to be the best all round chip a this time though.

Is hyperthreading really only of value in a lower core count? ie, the 9700K missing it doesn't seem to be a big deal with the eight cores? You're possibly right about the 9600K (I haven't really looked into that one), but I think I'd go the extra cores for a little extra cash if I want this build to last five years.

With more reviews/info coming out now. The 9700K looks like a solid choice. I also didn't notice the $70 difference between that and the 8700K. It's now a no brainer. 9700K for sure.

On the red side, the AMD 2700X looks like a solid balance too. Keep in mind that Zen2 is coming early next year.

13 hours ago, MasterShrive said:

I went to PC Case Gear out of interested to see what a 2080 RTX is worth. Didn't realise the RRP was also in the model name. Yikes!

Wow, and I thought at ~ $1300 the 1080Ti was expensive

13 minutes ago, PistolKnight said:

Wow, and I thought at ~ $1300 the 1080Ti was expensive

Yeah, they haven't moved in price and the next generation has just doubled the price. Go figure. They must think this ray tracing is really worth the cost. I think I'd want to upgrade to a HDR ultra-wide screen monitor before I'd consider getting a newer GPU as well.

1 hour ago, MasterShrive said:

Yes, it's good to see AMD keeping the pressure on at present.

Anyone running AMD processors in their main build?

Yep, I'm running the 1600x. Have had zero issues with it, runs everything I have thrown at it. 

I think it is down on single processor power compared to an Intel chip, but i haven't seen anything new where that is an issue.

Without doing too much research, I thought I'd throw together a bit of a wishlist on PCCG: https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/666568/Future Purchases

Edit: I should point out that the cooler listed there would go into the HTPC with my current 4770K.

Edited by MasterShrive

Any particular reason you chose that motherboard? I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F at this stage.

When are you ordering? I'll be keen to benchmark your specs against mine with the slower (hopefully still working 2400Mhz) ram in my system.

The only reason I've put that MB in at present is because people were talking highly of it on Whirlpool. But I haven't investigated it that heavily (and I've spent even less time looking into the RAM).

I honestly doubt I'll build much before Christmas, unless I find some time. Most of my weekends are already booked out. So it's more likely to be in the summer holidays.

The first thing I need to do is actually make sure this current MB will fit into my HTPC case (and make sure any heatsink I buy will do the same).

Yeah I'm not certain it will fit. And it is only for the HTPC, which shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting. But that said, it's job will only get more difficult. I currently have a Corsair H80i on the 4770K, and I'm expecting that to do the job on the 9700K as well.

12 minutes ago, MasterShrive said:

Yeah I'm not certain it will fit. And it is only for the HTPC, which shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting. But that said, it's job will only get more difficult. I currently have a Corsair H80i on the 4770K, and I'm expecting that to do the job on the 9700K as well.

Ah nice, gotcha, for the HTPC.

The Taichi is my pick too. It has 2 more SATA ports than others and 1 extra M.2 for an NVMe. Few extra bits too etc. All the extra ports is great for 3 years from now when you add more storage and SSD/NVMe prices are falling so fast.

Btw, has anyone had an ASRock board before? Never tried one and Gigabyte and Asus have been struck off my buy list for future tech.

Edited by Phobos

I currently have an ASRock board, which is another reason I'm leaning their way again. I couldn't fault this one in the five years I've had it.

Comments about the Taichi board seemed to be based around it being well featured but not over the top. A nice sweet spot.

32 minutes ago, Phobos said:

Looks juicy. Although, don't cheap out on the CPU cooler. Get Noctua NH-D15. Read up on it, you'll thank me later! Hope it fits in your case!

+1 for the Noctua coolers, they do a damn good job.

They are huge though, make sure they fit first.

I have the slightly newer and bigger CPU cooler version to yours Shrive.

The Corsair H100i v2, and I couldn't fault it. Has kept my AMD CPU cool, so must be doing a good job :P