Sign in to follow this  
Duckz

Duckzys Build Log

Updated my first post with parts. Been up and running since yesterday.

Haven't transferred over the GTX 1070 just yet, or plugged in the Essence STX.

In the middle of transferring huge amounts of data across onto the 8TB drives. Once that's all done and I'm sure everything I need is there, I'll pull my 1070 out.

The board will change if I ever get a VII Hero, but for the time being, it's the Extreme6.

Edited by Duckz

Finally sourced the Maximus VII Hero board I've been wanting.

Also picked up the exact same kit of RAM, to take me to 32GB total, even though it isn't really need.

And bought some new op-amp chips (2 x Burson Audio V5i Dual, 1 x Burr Brown OPA2132PA) to swap them out on my sound card.

All done and dusted.

Motherboard swapped, added more RAM, chips on the sound card swapped, braided molex cable for the sound card plugged in.

While I was at it, I put black nitto electrical tape around the small pieces of the case between each PCI slot because I think one of my monitor connectors was making contact, and shorting out or something, seems to have stopped since doing that. Also put pieces of tape around the HDD caddies to prevent metal on metal vibration going through the case, which has stopped 10 fold.

A few pictures of the systems I've put together lately; https://imgur.com/a/NzUhl6d

With my main system, I changed the GTX 1070 from the Founder's Edition to an ASUS STRIX (and made a $25 profit while doing it) a while back, added the ASUS ROG Front Base (because yolo) and picked up a 2TB WD Se HDD (impulse buy) for $55 delivered.

I'm already looking to sell it.

Under load, it's a fair bit louder then what I'm used to on the STRIX. Not too sure if it's just being a 1080 Ti over the 1070, or the three fan design on the STRIX compared to the two fan design on the EVGA card.

So after not being happy with the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC iCX Black Edition that I bought, I ended up selling that for a small profit, and then found a ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC.

Just dropped that in and ran a bench. Shits all over the EVGA card. Ran cooler, and I could hardly hear the fans ramp up.

superbench.thumb.PNG.d9515112c7fa00588dc154e95330a1a0.PNG

So all this talk about people doing upgrades...

I was at work, doing some paperwork, mate walks into the office, we start talking about PC stuff, I bring up PCCG and show him what I'd buy if I was to upgrade right now, I notice that the i7-9700K is in stock and available to order, 30 seconds later I've checked out a cart consisting of;

Intel Core i7-9700K

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-32GTZR 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

:oops:

Only because Duckzy keeps stealing my thunder...

I also got a 9700k and the same board... and a 500GB 970 EVO NVMe drive. It's how you use it.

I'll be limping (still on the old GPU) back in next week hopefully... although I've just discovered that I can't find the rest of my CPU cooler mounting brackets so I may need to buy another cooler.

Probably an RTX 2080 at this stage.

Nah, pretty sure it was the mobo and cpu that fried. Doing some more investigating now and it may be the PSU as well which isn't ideal...

On 10/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, bprc said:

Probably an RTX 2080 at this stage.

Nah, pretty sure it was the mobo and cpu that fried. Doing some more investigating now and it may be the PSU as well which isn't ideal...

When do you plan to update everyone?

I've got stuff sitting in my wishlist still. How come you chaps went with that MB and RAM? As I might do the same if you've already worked out the details. I'll stick with my current SSD for a bit longer though.

Update what?

It may...ok, definitely was only the PSU that was faulty.

I got that mobo because there were too many to choose from and Duckz suggested it. :)

I don't mind the ASUS boards. Been using them after switching from Gigabyte a few generations ago. It's just a matter of going through all of the specs that you need/want. M.2 slots, SATA, WiFi etc