Sign in to follow this  
MasterShrive

Podcasts

Anyone got any good Podcasts they could recommend? And where do you find them? As I'm looking for something different to listen to in the car.

I enjoyed the Serial podcast - season 1 focused on a student convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend (much akin to making a murderer) and season 2 which was about a soldier who went AWOL (there is debate whether he got lost or was AWOL) and was held by the Taliban for 5 years before escaping but then was charged by the US military for desertion.

I also listened to a spin off called s-town but I did not think it was as good as the first 2 seasons.

I just downloaded episodes from the usual podcast apps (depending if you have apple or android) 

The Dollop (http://thedollop.libsyn.com/), two American comedians that talk about obscure history that no one knows. Going to their Melbourne live show with Caitlyn and Lauren Bendall this month!

Also Do Go On (http://dogoon.libsyn.com/) similar to the Dollop but Aussie, saw Matt from this group at the Melbourne Comedy Festival earlier this year.

Both are great!

PC & Tech Magazine suggested the Hardcore History pdcast in their latest edition. In particular, they said The Destroyer Of Worlds episode was well worth a listen. I started it yesterday and I've found it fascinating. However, this is one of their "short" episodes, and it clocks in at 6 hours! It covers the Cold War in a level of detail that is fascinating, looking at the key people and the context of their decisions. If you enjoy history, and if you've ever found yourself twenty links deep on a Wikipedia binge, then I'd strongly recommend giving this one a go.

I've been listening to The Dollop's live Australian episodes (the podcast was mentioned by Pench above). If you enjoy history, comedy and/or like Will Anderson (who is the special guest for a lot of these) then I strongly recommend giving it a listen. I've just finished the episode on Errol Flynn, and hooly dooly that was an eye opener.

3 minutes ago, MasterShrive said:

I've been listening to The Dollop's live Australian episodes (the podcast was mentioned by Pench above). If you enjoy history, comedy and/or like Will Anderson (who is the special guest for a lot of these) then I strongly recommend giving it a listen. I've just finished the episode on Errol Flynn, and hooly dooly that was an eye opener.

To add to this, Will Anderson is fucking plastered in most of these! When I went and saw the live show, which was about the Australian Gold Rush and the Eureka Stockade, I reckon he smashed at least eight beers while on stage, these podcasts go for an hour and half to two hours :-P