TheLaw

NVIDIA Pascal GPUS

Mine is playing up though... PC decides to drop lots of frames in the recording... as in a few seconds at a time...

Not sure what the go is, but I'm guessing it just can't keep up with it

Mine is playing up though... PC decides to drop lots of frames in the recording... as in a few seconds at a time...

Not sure what the go is, but I'm guessing it just can't keep up with it

Mine is butter smooth, try running it to a different hard disk if you have a secondary. 

Ok so now I have a real issue ... I have tried goolging without much success.

My CPU (4670k) is running (using MSI afterburner) at 100% for The Division and Battlefield - with obvious issues around stuttering, game "jumps", etc

I tried to change the number of cores from 4 to 3 to try and create some headroom, but it seems to be a game issue. I have not OC'd it yet, but that is only going to give me 15-20% more at best. Wondering if it is truely a hardware bottleneck (upgrade required) or game coding inefficiency. Thoughts?

I haven't noticed BF pushing my CPU that much (4460)... but then again I don't play at huge resolutions either...

I would have thought both those games were were GPU intensive than CPU

Hell. That does seem to be excessive. Not sure what else you can try? Drop all the settings and close anything else running to see if it makes a difference? Try the OC to see if that does give you some headroom? What's the heat situation like? It's not throttling but still telling you it's at 100%? I'm just throwing around some random ideas.

My CPU (4670k) is running (using MSI afterburner) at 100% for The Division and Battlefield - with obvious issues around stuttering, game "jumps", etc

I tried to change the number of cores from 4 to 3 to try and create some headroom, but it seems to be a game issue. I have not OC'd it yet, but that is only going to give me 15-20% more at best. Wondering if it is truely a hardware bottleneck (upgrade required) or game coding inefficiency. Thoughts?

Has this just happened over the last few days?

I wonder if there's something running in the background of Windows that's clogging it up? Tried a spyware scan recently?

MS - have tried changing to lowest settings in game with no success (CPU still 100%). Heat is running pretty much constant at 65-67 degrees - thinking that this is too warm and the CPU is throttling itself as a precaution and hence 100% usage?

Dec - I have only just noticed in the last week or two. I can run one (scan), but I also had Task Manager open to watch the CPU and memory usage by process / application and the usage is around 95-97% BF1 / The Division. As soon as close the game the CPU usage drops back into 5-10% range (only chrome open)

Cleaned it out recently?

Something is blocking airflow to it?

65-ish is hot, but not excessively so, 70 - 80 is dangerous, and anything above that is getting to the point of thermal shutdown to prevent damage.

Whats your current GPU? There shouldn't be any bottleneck issues imo unless you were running a first gen i7 with a a 900 series GPU/AMD equivalent than yeah, you'd have a bottleneck. Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers? I have heard that some people had issues with the latest drivers causing stuttering and such, also... are your cores unparked? or is that unnecessary with Win 10 (assuming you are using Win 10) 

Is your CPU cooler mounted correctly? Silly question to ask someone, but could it be not seated right? Same with the GPU, check for dust in the PCI slot. 

I think a throttled CPU would show as less than 100% usage.

I was going to launch the Division to see what my CPU usage was like while playing, but of course U(DONT)Play is offline...

PK:

Is the jumps happening in other games?

Tried lowering Battlefield to the lowest settings? 

Throttled CPUs drop in clock speed(IIRC), not usage %. Fire up CPUZ on a second screen while in game and check.

Did you buy a new motherboard and CPU recently? Is it happening all of a sudden or since day one of purchase? If new and since day one, in the wise words of Nev, check your CPU is compatible with your motherboard.

Law:

Nice, haha, I like the fan stop LEDs. I wish my card would stop whirling :(

Edited by Phobos

BF1 does have issues with using 100% of the CPU and going spastic. Known issue. I think the workarounds were to disable DX12 in the Game Files and if that doesnt work then running in Borderless Windowed mode can help. Personally I always play at Low everything except Mesh Detail from memory. Gets rid of a ton of clutter and to be honest everything but the water looks pretty similar. 

PK:

Is the jumps happening in other games?

Tried lowering Battlefield to the lowest settings? 

Throttled CPUs drop in clock speed(IIRC), not usage %. Fire up CPUZ on a second screen while in game and check.

Did you buy a new motherboard and CPU recently? Is it happening all of a sudden or since day one of purchase? If new and since day one, in the wise words of Nev, check your CPU is compatible with your motherboard.

Law:

Nice, haha, I like the fan stop LEDs. I wish my card would stop whirling :(

Only tried BF1 and The Division so far, will have to install something else and try

Yes tried low on both no change

I DL that program last night will take a squizz

The MB and CPU are from a BF4 build so ~ 3 years old now. Used to run BF4 180 frames on low rez (770 classified no probs).

Have been able to confirm both CPU and GPU fans are working

Thx Emp will check DX12

PK check that your settings in Nvidia control panel (experience) is set to High performance (default is power saving).

You could also set the division to high priority in task manager.

And finally do not run it windowed it must be full screen.

The 1.3 version was were these issues really started to be noticed.

Edited by TheDredd

So a quick run down of the new card.

I noticed that if i set the Nvidia settings for "Maximum Performance" via the 3d settings, the smart power LED light adjacent to the 8pin power plug would flash, that means the PCI-E voltage is unstable, so i had to bump it back down to "optimal" which is mostly on by default, also with it running on "Maximum Performance" i noticed it was always running on full clock speeds and causing the temp to sit around the 40 - 48 degree mark, not overly hot, but seeing as its a new card i dont want it getting over 35 while on idle, at the moment the GPU clock is at 240, and the memory clock is hat 810 which is stock i think, and the temp is 32 degrees. 

When it comes to playing the current games i have installed, im getting 10 -15x the performance i was getting with my 760.

Rainbow Six Siege - settings - "Ultra"
Min FPS: 60 

Max FPS: 70 - 160 (depending on the map, mode and what was going on at the time) 

I have also turned Vsync on as i noticed issues when bumping a setting to above x8 (AA i think) But other than that, the game runs perfect, Also BP and Shrives, the "Ultra HD Texture Pack" is only noticeable and good from 144hz upto 4K from what i read on Reddit

ArmA 3 - settings - "Very High"

Min FPS: 30 

Max FPS: 65

Now ArmA 3 is only a 32 bit client, and only "supports" up to 3gbs of VRAM according to BI, but i did notice that the GPU didn't dip below 30, which was freaking great for once as my old 760 would struggle to keep it up above 25... and that was on a good day lol. But seeing as BI have announced that a 64 bit client is on the way and projected for a mid 2K17 release im afraid i won't see that much of a performance increase.. unless i change from AMD to Intel? (Can anyone tell me if that will be viable?)

Rise of the Tomb Raider- settings - "High"

Min FPS: 60
Max FPS: 90

One of the most graphical and visually stunning games i have currently installed on my battlerig, I noticed no drops in performance at all, im really keen to do another play through again as the first time i had to play on console settings (low - 30  - 40 fps) and it really ruined the experience as im a huge fan of the rebooted Tomb Raider series!  Its a great game if your PC can run it!

As for other game, im planning on downloading GTA V again, The Witcher 3, Battlefield 4 and Battlefront as they are also some pretty graphically intense games that are relevant to benchmarking current GPUS. 

Nice. For ArmA, was that in a MP server?

Nah mate, was lanning it via hamachi with a friend, i'll try joining a non modded server tomorrow and i'll update my run down.