Sign in to follow this  
tricky

Battalion 1944

This appeared all over my Facebook feed today. I'm certainly interested to see how it goes.

Edit: although I would have liked to have seen some acknowledgement of vCoD or CoDUO, not just CoD2.

Edit: although I would have liked to have seen some acknowledgement of vCoD or CoDUO, not just CoD2.

He said United Offensive, among others at 4:00 :P

This game....checks all the boxes for a solid game. The guys have a brain between their ears, they really sound genuine in having played through those games over the years. They know what needs to be done.

Having said that, I've seen previous (some what niche) games try to do this formula of catering to the "old school" and just failing. Then again, RO2 is sort of the same and it gets at least 50 players most nights. 

Edit: They mentioned the retail price might be around $60. Not bad, better than Hardline's $90. We'll see if that might change by then..

Ouch, the projected early access is May 2017. Ouch ouch. 

Oh. I take that back then. All the media I'd seen today only mentioned CoD2 and MoH. I did only have the video going on the second monitor, but nonetheless I would have thought I'd heard them mention UO.

RO2 certainly comes to mind as a solid WWII shooter that just came too late. I think for an FPS game in that genre to be successful now it's going to have to include at least some basic destruction, wall penetration, etc. - as otherwise it's just catering to the same audience who still play the same brand of WWII from ten years ago.

Agreed

I think for an FPS game in that genre to be successful now it's going to have to include at least some basic destruction, wall penetration, etc. - as otherwise it's just catering to the same audience who still play the same brand of WWII from ten years ago.

Agreed, at least with wall banging. Hopefully it's not like Day of Defeat. That's what I would be worried about. Being the same old game but with new graphics and physics.

I haven't played DoD, so I can't really comment. But to the best of my knowledge, the new CoDs only have wall banging and that's about it? I would have hoped that ten years down the track they'd at least introduced walls etc. that would be destroyed - not necessarily to the BF level of course, but at least something a bit more.

Looks pretty good to me with dedicated servers and local hosting rule sets.

I also like the idea of no progression upgrade crap. Not everyone has 200 + hrs to grind out guns and skill buffs so they dont get smashed by a 12 year old with a Level 100+ advantage ;)

Now days I just want a multiplayer game I can pick up when i get an hour free and play on a level play field like the old cod. 

Agreed ^

Interesting to see the video gain traction. In the morning they had ~30k views and atm 270k+

Another 10k or so for the kickstarter too.

I backed this earlier today after watching the video. Just went with the £15 option.

Looks very promising, I hopefully by it's release I'll have a new system.

ro2 wasn't too late, it was broken. The stat reset was the last nail in the coffin for all the early adopters.

Coming back later I wish I hadn't abandoned it. Really underrated and quite tactical. Has become my fall back when I'm bored with modern games. 

Quite easy to find a server over here in europe ;) would have been so fun to scrim in :(

As with all kickstarters, ignore until listed on steam.

I forgot about that stat reset.

CoD5 was another one that suffered upon release. Buggy as all hell (even crashing in the menu) and no mod support at all. 12 months later, like RO2, it was a pretty good game. But too little, too late. And they'd be the last WWII shooters I've had a proper go at, that's for sure.

I wonder if Battlefield will ever go back. I've never played their brand of shooter in that setting, as I only came into the series at BF2. But with full destruction it certainly could be interesting.

I recall when CoD went to the modern setting that I wasn't too impressed, preferring the history based stuff. But now I wonder if I could actually go back, after playing, competing in and enjoying the modern setting for the better part of a decade. Guess we'll see.

Slightly off topic here, but the devs for Insurgency have released a WWII mod aswell. Its pretty good actually. 

Have they added aussie servers yet? I jumped in maybe 2 weeks ago when I saw LC's video about it and there was only US ones.

Slightly off topic here, but the devs for Insurgency have released a WWII mod aswell. Its pretty good actually. 

Have they added aussie servers yet? I jumped in maybe 2 weeks ago when I saw LC's video about it and there was on US ones.

Yeaaapp there are 4 iirc

Did anyone watch? I was having a look at their stretch goals and was interested to see things like Russian and British soldiers and weapons were not there by default. Will be interesting to see the quality of game they can create with such a small budget. I wonder what the makers of Red Orchestra had behind them.

I watched it until their feed wigged out. There wasn't a huge amount of detail in what I watched.

Apparently they have the VOD up on Twitch.