TBH mate I have no clue, I was so caught up in hearing the shit that old mate has had to deal with from the NBN Co lately I forgot to ask. But he did say that the job was listed as important and that it needed to be done before days end.

Well we are already getting the max speed we can get on fixed wireless! waiting on the case manager to call so we can start another fight for refunds.

24 minutes ago, TheLaw said:

Well we are already getting the max speed we can get on fixed wireless! waiting on the case manager to call so we can start another fight for refunds.

WAIT?! All this is over fixed wireless?! As in, there's not even a bloody cable involved?!

1 hour ago, MasterShrive said:

WAIT?! All this is over fixed wireless?! As in, there's not even a bloody cable involved?!

There is a cable... it runs from the dish on the roof to the wall inside... 

Oh you thought it was for a cable from the house to the street... haha in a little town like "insert Laws town here", yeah right!

47 minutes ago, MiniSanders said:

There is a cable... it runs from the dish on the roof to the wall inside... 

Oh you thought it was for a cable from the house to the street... haha in a little town like "insert Laws town here", yeah right!

Manilla, probably a little bit bigger than Nhill.  At least our power doesn't shut off at 2 am ;)

The way the NBN Co installed the NBN here was bloody weird. Red pin is where i am, we are in a "fixed wireless area" and the solid shade of purple is all FTTC. Originally the town was supposed to get FTTP but it was soon changed to FTTN then FTTC with the rest geting Fixed Wireless.

image.png.8c77771ba586c8b754b3890244e65d2b.png

Edited by TheLaw

Oh, I see. Nhill (with about 1,800) people is the same - FTTC within the township, but anyone even just outside the town boundary is fixed wireless.

I just can't figure out why they thought it should be working for you - as there's obviously a lot of work that needs to happen on your side to get fixed wireless to work, where as with FTTC/N they shouldn't even have to enter your house if the cabling was done correctly out front (it wasn't in my case, which is where they screwed up badly).

Had they already come out a couple of times to try and get the fixed wireless working?

We are in Pop's house as Pop has been moved to the hospital full time as he's too fragile to live by himself. Pop never had the NBN installed at all, so there was no pre-existing cable or dish on the roof. When Nan was alive they did have ADSL 2 but that was the extent of it. They assumed that we were gonna be happy with having a spotty 4G connection and a little 4GX dongle... So that's why it was a massive fight to get them to come out to install it.

The installation process for fixed wireless is pretty simple. He put the dish in a spot where it has a clear line of sight at the base and tower with no obstructions at all.

NBN-Fixed-Wireless.jpg

Ah, I see. That's what I couldn't work out - if they thought they had installed the dish already or not. Because I presumed that was something they should know (and have tested!). Hopefully it all works smoothly from now on.

I notice when it is peak usage time cause my speed will drop from 70 to about 60 - 55, from around 5ish until 10pm. Had no major issues at all since installing it. This weekend I'm getting a 30m cable and going back to wired rather than wireless.

Fixed wireless certainly suffers from more congestion... which is why we should have had more FTTP in the first place and not some MTM "solution".

7 hours ago, MasterShrive said:

Fixed wireless certainly suffers from more congestion... which is why we should have had more FTTP in the first place and not some MTM "solution".

100% agreed, we got quoted $29,000 by the NBN Co directly to have FTTP installed, we also found out that was the quote to have the entire street done, not just our premises, Dad said he'd be behind the idea if it was just us.

So I got a call from Barnaby Joyce's office today. They rang Telstra and have organized compensation for us.

we are getting $375 in credit on the bill. $25 off our plan till the contract ends and they aren't charging us for the modem. Our case manager should call either dad or my step mum today to confirm this.

Edited by TheLaw

It's a shame you had to go through so many hoops, but at least you've got something in return.

I hate to think about how many people don't know their rights and don't get anything back, as the telcos certainly aren't forthcoming.

Huh, when did ISPs start bringing out plans faster than 100Mbps? Got an email that Optus has given me 6months free 215/20 plan. Looked around, others have similar and even 600Mbps!

11277157420.png

Edited by Phobos

1 hour ago, Phobos said:

Huh, when did ISPs start bring out plans faster than 100Mbps? Got an email that Optus has given me 6months free 215/20 plan. Looked around, others have similar and even 600Mbps!

11277157420.png

*Cries in fixed wireless speeds*

Maybe Starlink one day, Law :(

Ok, I went back a page and Rallyman got the 600 plan for 6 months from TPG. So I guess since around the start of the year. Interesting interesting considering all the debacle of the NBN network. Probably counting on only a few actually using that bandwidth so it averages out in the end. Still, interesting.