MasterShrive

Book Club

I don't think we've got a topic for good books people have read, so I thought I'd start one. The main book I wanted to bring to people's attention is a new release called "Ghost Fleet". It's basically a grounded WWIII scenario based in the not-too-distant future, written by two military analysts. They've basically looked at current trends and weapons in development and then weaved them into their story. I'm only a short way into the book so far, but I've really found it interesting and though others who like a "WWIII-scenario-action-thriller" might want to check it out.

Cheers for the reccomendation Shrive, I'll certainly check that one out.

I've recently read "The Martian" by Andy Weir and "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, both are Sci Fi, and are very good.

Oh, and I thought of another:
"Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson.

I thought "Ghost Fleet" might be up your alley. Let me know if you do pick it up.

I've already bought it off Google Play, just need to wait until I get a chance to start reading it.

I just read Greg Fleet's book 'These Things Happen'. It was really good, mainly about his addiction to heroin over a 30 year period and general life as a comdeian. Would defintely recommend it.

So I recently went through a bit of a zombie faze in books. I read the Remaining series. It is very good. Also the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot zombie series. That one is written by W.J Lundy who is active military so its a little more realistic in a sense on military capabilities. The John O'brien series was also excellent

Now I'm onto the Andrew Patterson, Nathan Mcbride series. Its somewhat similar to a Matthew reilley novel. Action books are all I read mostly. The Alex cross and Womens Murder club books were excellent as well. 

New releases like Lee child are coming out in September. Lee child is excellent. The character is what the Tom Cruise movie Reacher was based upon. 

On a more sci-fi front Dima Zales has the Mind dimension series. Loved that one also. 

Other previous great books of course are classics like Magician by Raymond E Feist. The wheel of time also in most peoples opinion rank at the top of the list. It is basically the original Swords and Sorcery book series. Even after the original writer died the books released after are still awesome. 

The Wheel of Time series is something I'd like to get to eventually, but I know that's going to be a huge time sink and so won't be starting them any time soon. The Jack Reacher novels are also something I'd like to pick up as they sound pretty good.

RIP clan.

This clan is now a book based clan. You will need to purchase our official books to participate, otherwise you may be removed from the roster. It is expected that all clan members will attend live readings each Sunday. The first Monday of every month will be reserved for discussion about the official book we have all just read. There will be a test.

I not long finished reading "The Crossroad" Written by Mark Donaldson an SAS troop who received(after making so heroic decisions) the Victoria Cross for Australia, making him the first Australian to receive our highest award for bravery in wartime since Keith Payne in 1969. Pretty good book actually 

About time I finished my Grug books I guess!

We might schedule that for the new year - I didn't want to start too advanced. I thought Spot might be a good beginning? I haven't seen him run for a while now.

About time I finished my Grug books I guess!

We might schedule that for the new year - I didn't want to start too advanced. I thought Spot might be a good beginning? I haven't seen him run for a while now.

AreUMyMother.jpg

Yeah, big Matthew Riley fan. As well as Daniel Silva - he's got a good spy series.

Yeah, his series with Gabriel Allon is incredible. Geez, I'm worried I'm becoming Shrive...

bp, if I start calling people 'digger' promise me you'll do what needs to be done.

The Wheel of Time series is something I'd like to get to eventually, but I know that's going to be a huge time sink and so won't be starting them any time soon. The Jack Reacher novels are also something I'd like to pick up as they sound pretty good.

RIP clan.

This clan is now a book based clan. You will need to purchase our official books to participate, otherwise you may be removed from the roster. It is expected that all clan members will attend live readings each Sunday. The first Monday of every month will be reserved for discussion about the official book we have all just read. There will be a test.

You know this would of been best suited for an April Fools joke... 

Yeah, big Matthew Riley fan. As well as Daniel Silva - he's got a good spy series.

Yeah, his series with Gabriel Allon is incredible. Geez, I'm worried I'm becoming Shrive...

bp, if I start calling people 'digger' promise me you'll do what needs to be done.

You mean a promotion? 

You know this would of been best suited for an April Fools joke...

What joke?

Cmon Shirves, it would of worked. Just imagine logging on one day and seeing the RtD banner is now somewhat looking like a book, and the websites background is now a library.... I mean at least BP or someone with decent photoshop skills could shop you into one of those giant chairs that rich people have :P 

Yes read the series up to an including The Serpentwar Saga many years ago (high school and uni days). I did not realise that there were so many releases post that point.

A good sci fi read (but you need to be committed for the story and character development). Much like (but imo not as good as) The Belgariad by David Eddings which I will always like as it was one of the first series I became engrossed in when I started high school.

Don't forget Magician. Or is that the riftwar cycle combined. I'm probably up to his second latest series and have always enjoyed it. His other series are also awesome that run somewhat parallel early on. Such as the Empire trilogy from memory. Don't get me started on Sci fi though or we'll be here all week.