Duckz

Commodore 2003 VY Central Locking Problem

Who knows anything about cars? Because I don't know squat.

The pad covering the unlock button on my key has vanished from wear and tear. And now it seems the battery must be dead too, because the whole thing doesn't work.

So I thought, that's fine, all just go old school and stick the key in the drivers door and unlock my car. Success! The car unlocked. But as soon as I opened the drivers door, the alarm went off. I thought "here we go... 3AM, just finished work, and the remote isn't working to turn the alarm off". After the initial thought of "What the fuck do I do now?", I thought I'd just start the car and see what happens. Bingo! The alarm turned off and away I went.

Question. Is this normal behavior? Seems strange that the key unlocked my car, but then alarm still went off.

If it's the key I think it is you are better off replacing it or at least replacing the battery in the key.

If its this key below just replace the battery (CR2032) and you should be good to go.

$(KGrHqMOKpwE5ZGT3bb1BOlNfNPV4g~~60_35.J

Yeah, that's the key.

Was just having a quick look on Supercheap, and came across this, which looks like it should fix the issue with the button, and while it's all open I'll just change the battery too.

In all seriousness from memory when Dad had the same problem too it to the key cut place and they replaced the entire key and unit. I can ask my housemate as he's a mechanic.

Edited by TheLaw

You're going to replace the shell and battery on a key that's already flakey without a spare?

Good luck! ;)

Fuck you bp ;) You've convinced me.

Going to get a whole new key cut and programmed for $120. At least I'll have a dodgy backup, just in case.

Huh? Just got back from getting a whole new key cut and programmed from the local locksmith. Genuine Holden parts, for $120.

I rang the local Holden Dealer and Service Centre before I went, to see what their price was, and they quoted $265.

Edited by Duckz

Go to a place like Mr Mint in the shopping centres and you will be able to buy a remote unit from them and you can also replace the batteries in them if need be as well. They also should give you instructions on how to reprograme the key with out going to holden for this to be done, Might have to ask them for.

Yep I've got a commodore too and my unlock button is all worn away. I just jammed a ball bearing in there and taped it in. Modern day macgyver.

Yep I've got a commodore too and my unlock button is all worn away. I just jammed a ball bearing in there and taped it in. Modern day macgyver.

LOL

original.jpg

i used to work at holden spare parts, the replacement unit is rather cheap, its the coding of it to the car that is the killer, i think trade was around $40 for the unit and $150 to get it coded.. holden sucks.. hence why i no longer work there... haha... you can replace the buttons easy enough for $2 on ebay.. take it to a Mister Minit see if they can do battery for you

I like his style.

In other news related to the original post you can buy replacement buttons on ebay for like 2 dollars. You cut the old button out best you can then push the new one in. I did it before i sold my car, worked really well.