bprc

Streaming Media: Netflix, Stan, Quickflix etc.

i let my netflix roll over for another month. Enough value in it atm imo

I've kept mine going as well. Plenty of content on there that my kids enjoy.

I'll keep using alternative methods to watch my shows.

i let my netflix roll over for another month. Enough value in it atm imo

Likewise, they're adding new stuff pretty regularly. I also found the have Around The Twist! BRONSON!!!! Good times...

Good to see Optus up there. It's been smooth HD playback so far

I have to decide today whether to keep mine rolling over. At this stage I don't think I will, only because I'm not likely to watch their shows again in the next couple of weeks (I'm catching up on some other stuff). But I'll certainly be renewing it again in a few weeks when I want to get to Suits or Mad Men etc.

If you watch a lot of Netflix on your computer you should check out Smartflix. It's a 'custom' browser with built in proxy settings to bypass geoblocking. It gives you access to all of Netflix's content from one interface.

There's many other alternatives and other ways to access this content (UnblockUs, Turboflix, VPN's etc) but the best thing about Smartflix is it's completely hands off and at the moment it's free!

They're working on developing iOS apps too. 

With only looking at their site, i'm skeptical about them as a whole. The proxy part especially. Is it going to end up with my computer also being used as a DNS proxy for other users or their own internal DNS hardware? Very limited info, just an "optimized proxy service". Opens up a whole story for abuse. Call me paranoid.

They're using a gmail address to get in contact? They have a site, I would assume also a DNS record for MX to be more official. Seems lazy and unprofessional. Even for a "beta" Takes 5 minutes to set the MX record to gmail and have a front facing @smartflix.io email.

Seem's like a few red flags to me, not crapping on your post bp !

Call me paranoid.

Ok... you're paranoid.

They own their own proxy servers. They don't use each end user as a 'node' or DNS proxy. Hola is an application that did something like that. People ended up hijacking other peoples connections to do 'dodgy' stuff.

As far as the email thing... meh. It's no biggie. Like you said, it takes 5 min to set up proper MX records pointing to Google. At worst, it's lazy.

They're quick to respond via email, Reddit and the app even has a built in chat feature.

I'm happy to ask them any questions you want answered Phoby!

Edit: You can browse the content here (can't play it because you need the DNS proxy magic, which is what the app provides) - https://app.smartflix.io

Edited by bprc

Call me paranoid.

Ok... you're paranoid.

They own their own proxy servers. They don't use each end user as a 'node' or DNS proxy. Hola is an application that did something like that. People ended up hijacking other peoples connections to do 'dodgy' stuff.

As far as the email thing... meh. It's no biggie. Like you said, it takes 5 min to set up proper MX records pointing to Google. At worst, it's lazy.

They're quick to respond via email, Reddit and the app even has a built in chat feature.

I'm happy to ask them any questions you want answered Phoby!

Edit: You can browse the content here (can't play it because you need the DNS proxy magic, which is what the app provides) - https://app.smartflix.io

Oh nice. I like the idea, if it works without a hitch, I'd get it!

As an update - I did change my password to my NF account (via ipad as I watched the movies on PC) as a precaution once I had finished. When I went into my netflix account and went to paymnet details only the first 4 digits of my credit card are visible and the CCV is also blanked out. So if there is anything untoward I think the damage would be limited - when I installed my AV did not pick up anything, nor my malware real time

I might follow this practice (changing password) on another device for a little while just in case, but it is nice to have the content.

Ok... I'm only posting so you don't have to post 4 times in a row!

Does Kodi (orginally XBMC) support Netflix? Maybe there's a plugin that allows you to integrate Netflix? Not sure on the global content though.

So I've had Netflix for close to 3 years now. Prior to it's release in Australia, I accessed it via a Smart DNS service (Unblock-US), but have since switched to Getflix for the past 12 months atleast.

I pay about $25 a year for the service, which allows you to access different Netflix regions, along with other services that Getflix supports. No need to install any program, your IP is detected and bound to your account (and can easily be updated for those with a dynamic IP), and you then have access to their DNS IP address'. You can apply the IP address per device, such as a game console, or update your router to use their DNS IP address' and then all your devices on your network use it. Really simple to change regions via their android app.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Edited by Duckz

Interesting. I wonder how successful their "detection" is...

They'll never offer proper global access to their content. There's too many players involved and too much money.

Every chance I'll get it for the year.

I might want a month though as I've got Netflix and Amazon Prime on the go at present. My only concern is Mandalorian spoilers.

Anyone checked out High Score on Netflix yet?

Pretty cool look at the History of Video Games.  Brings back plenty of memories!

Yes, I've started it. A colleague recommended it. Seems very interesting. Just when I needed a new doco too.

Sarah and I just finished "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" on Netflix too. Very interesting and very topical at the moment.