TheLaw

Windows 10

Sooo in true Microsoft form, the lastest build for windows is magically deleting files from random drives, i have had my entire Origin libaray erased, i had one of external drives erased, and it was a 2tb external wwith 1.3tb of backups... gone. I'm not the only one who has had this issue, i don't believe there is a fix for it either.  

13 hours ago, TheLaw said:

Sooo in true Microsoft form, the lastest build for windows is magically deleting files from random drives, i have had my entire Origin libaray erased, i had one of external drives erased, and it was a 2tb external wwith 1.3tb of backups... gone. I'm not the only one who has had this issue, i don't believe there is a fix for it either.  

That is extremely concerning. Because, let's be honest, how are you going to know if it's erased files until you actually need them? If it's hitting external drives with back ups... well that's something you'd expect from ransomware, not the actual operating system. That has me concerned.

I can only hope the XP and Vista remnants of my operating system protect me from this Windows 10 bug.

I've ran malware scan, nothing found, ran my AV nothing found, was a few threads on reddit about it, and the windows forums aswell, it really is annoying as i have to make sure i have stuff backed up to either my dropbox or on a HDD that isnt plugged in. I was thinking about doing a fresh install of 10, but i dont think that will solve the problem... the next update for Windows isn't due til sometime this month  fingers crossed it contains a fix.

Edit: I had files on my desktop that were deleted 2 word documents and a Premire Pro save was missing.

Edited by TheLaw

Yeah they have pulled it. I thought iwas lucky and didnt get the update but it appears i did :( Never the less im not really installing anything new til the patch comes. 

Yes. i had them not to long ago, follow this guide in order to remove them. 

To disable native Windows 10 Notifications in Google Chrome, do the following.

1. Open the Google Chrome browser and type the following text in the address bar:
    chrome://flags/#enable-native-notifications
  2. Set the Enable Native Notifications flag to "Disabled".
  3. Restart the browser.

https://winaero.com/blog/enable-disable-chrome-native-notifications-windows-10/

All good. I want notifications enabled, I just didn't want to receive that constant notification that I showed.

Turned out to be an an extension; Video Downloader Plus, trying to push another extension... So I just remove the extension and all is good now.

Soo i cannot seem to delete the windows.old folder as its saying i need to verify the location of it? And i was wondering if this bat code would solve said issue? 

takeown /F C:\Windows.old\* /R /A
pause
cacls C:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
pause
rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows.old\
pause

any help would be greatly appreciated

Is it a permission thing? I have a program called IOBit Unlocker which I find useful.

Does doing a disk cleanup allow Windows to just get rid of it?

I'm not sure about the code though sorry.

diskpart.exe > select disk 0 > clean

Should get rid of the folder for you!

Spoiler

Please don't run that unless you want to wipe your whole hdd...

Latest Windows 10 feature update (1903) released earlier today.

Fingers crossed it doesn't format any hard drives by accident or something special like that.

1 hour ago, Duckz said:

Latest Windows 10 feature update (1903) released earlier today.

Fingers crossed it doesn't format any hard drives by accident or something special like that.

I've just finished doing a full system back up (including off site storage), so hopefully I'm covered.