Duckz

General TV Show Discussion And Review

Flying under the radar again: Barry just finished S1. Pretty good if you like Bill Hader or (old)Fonzie:

Edited by Phobos

I just watched a couple of new Netflix doco series, Wild Wild country and Evil Genius, both worth a look if your into true crime shows.

I bring you new under the radar shows again!

The Terror: The crew of a Royal Naval expedition searching for the Arctic's treacherous Northwest Passage discovers instead a monstrous predator.

This is a great one. The "monster" isn't really the focus it's a little cheesy (this is also based on a real expedition). Stuck without food and fighting for survival against the clock is. Superb acting from everyone.

If you haven't been watching The Expanse yet. Get on it. High quality scifi that's been lacking for years. Season 1 does feel like a cop in space type show if that doesn't interest you, but it instantly changes to the bigger picture not long after. 

Edited by Phobos

On 5/29/2018 at 8:28 PM, MasterShrive said:

Yeah I need to get onto the Expanse.

After first talking about it two years ago (according to a forum search), I've finally started The Expanse and have so far not been disappointed. Seems to have a great mix of sci-fi, action and politics.

Sarah and are also up to the last two episodes of The Terror. I wasn't sure it was going to take my fancy just reading the general description, but we've been really enjoying it.

Nice. The Expanse really starts to kick in mid S2. With S3 so far being a high point. The style of the show, the acting has been really great for sci-fi imo. 

I went down the rabbit hole after finishing The Terror. They found Terror Erebus a few years ago. They also exhumed 2 of the sailors and did an autopsy on them. They were pretty well preserved too, interesting looking at someone 300 years old.

If you want more hidden gems:

Counterpart. Its got a cold war feeling. An experiment opened a door/portal between 2 parallel earths. You can walk between them and there is clandestine operations with agents that travel between them. Very interesting concept. J.K Simmons is in it and smashes it out of the park with his performance. Just finished its first season too.

Edited by Phobos

I watched season 1 of Mr Robot when it first came out, but then stopped watching it. I've just finished watching all three seasons back to back. Really good show.

I've just started watching Condor, and it's actually not too bad, considering it's not on any of the big US networks.

Once I've finished watching that, a work mate told me about a show called StartUp (2016), which looks pretty good too, so I'll be watching that next.

Barry gets better as it goes and ends really high

Mr robot is phenomenal, even if you just watch it for the cinematography alone. An episode in season 5 is an entire episode in "one shot" and has some of the most inventive transition shots i have ever seen. 

I love the realism of the expanse, there is a recent episode where people get injured in an accident and they make mention to the fact they need gravity for the treatment required to work, or how you can always here the mag boots engaging and disengaging as people walk. 

Adding the terror to my list

ALso, if anyone is a fan of Matt Groening i highly recommend his new show on Netflix disenchantment.  The humor is more adult than Futurama and the Simpsons so i wouldn't watch it with your kids. 

I'm going to give Disenchantment a go very soon.

I'm almost at the end of the second season of Expanse and think it's brilliant. The sci-fi combined with the politics is really taking my liking.

I've just finished watching all of Sharp Objects over the last 2 days. Really good psychological thriller mini-series.

Based on the debut novel of the same name by writer Gillian Flynn ("Gone Girl"), the eight-episode series "Sharp Objects" stars Amy Adams, in her first major role on the small screen, as reporter Camille Preaker, who returns to her small hometown to investigate mysterious, unsolved crimes. Two girls are missing, one of whom was found dead and presumed murdered. As she searches for clues, Camille reunites with her estranged family -- overbearing mother Adora, stepfather Alan Crellin, and half sister Amma -- which rekindles traumatic childhood memories, including the death of her younger sister. Piecing together a psychological puzzle from her past, Camille begins to identify with the young victims a bit too closely.

I'd definitely like to give the Jack Ryan TV series a go as I've never found the time to read the books.

I've also just finished the second season of The Expanse. Great show. I'll be getting onto Season 3 shortly.

Is it any good Duckz? After seeing him in A Quiet Place and 13 Hours i quite like John Krasinski, and whats it like as to comparing it to The Blacklist (another good show i recommend) 

It's only 8 episodes, so I smashed through them over about a 24 hour period.

I really enjoyed it. But I like all these types of shows. It's nothing like The Blacklist. If I had to compare it to another show, I'd compare it to Homeland.

I'm hoping they continue the series by having a completely different story/plot for each season, similar to how Fargo series is, while retaining the core cast.

I just watched The Looming Tower on Amazon Prime (pretty cheap access actually) and found it fascinating. Some of the most intense TV I've viewed. It covers events between the FBI and CIA in the lead up to 9/11. I was only in Year 10 at the time (doing work experience with the police as it turns out) and probably did not appreciate what a world shattering event this was. The Looming Tower gave a very interesting perspective. It's only ten episodes. Well worth the watch.

Also, the third season of Man In The High Castle is out too.

So i have been watching Seal Team, based on the seal team six squads. I found it highly addictive. there are 22 episodes in the first season and with the second season just started. Well worth a watch if you like the US Military shows.

The Last Kingdom season 3 is out. Really knocked it out of the park on this one. Best season so far. @MasterShrive

For those who don't know about the show (it's gone under the radar), remove all the boring filler from Vikings and you get this show. Non stop plot movement, every episode. Reminds me a lot about The Expanse but set in the 9th century.