Jebusohmighty

Movie Club

It was filmed in Australia... which was strange given it seemed to try and set it in America, therefore the cars were on the wrong side. Nice to see some Melbourne sights though.

On 21/09/2018 at 6:27 PM, MasterShrive said:

It was filmed in Australia... which was strange given it seemed to try and set it in America, therefore the cars were on the wrong side. Nice to see some Melbourne sights though.

that is very bizarre for an indie film considering how expensive it is to film here and how little support the government gives media here.

17 hours ago, Blueberry said:

that is very bizarre for an indie film considering how expensive it is to film here and how little support the government gives media here.

Yeah I remember seeing Films Victoria in the opening credits, so I guess they somehow got a bit of help.

Watched Upgraded too. Pretty good! Some great cinematography shots that sell you on his transformation.

Haven't checked if it was produced by Aussies? But if you want another little gem, The Tunnel. Set in Sydney.

Edited by Phobos

I just got back from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Absolutely amazing movie!

Rami Malek deserves all of the awards for his performance.

I finally got to two movies that I'd been intending to watch for a while: Crimes of Grindelwald and Aquaman. I enjoyed both quite a lot.

I'm interested to see where things go for the remaining Harry Potter films. I can't recall the books well enough to know all of the little nods, nor what to expect next.

Aquaman was visually spectacular. Pretty impressive with everything they had to put together, especially for the underwater effects. Still some issues with the uncanny valley and de-aging actors though. I'm not even sure it was strictly necessary (probably could have just been achieved with a bit of makeup). I'm seeing Captain Marvel tomorrow night, so I hope they were able to nail the younger appearance a bit better.

I was also very happy to hear that the Amazon Lord of the Rings TV series is going to be set in the Second Age. The world is their oyster there. I hope they don't screw it up.

Went and seen Captain Marvel on Friday night, i rather enjoyed it, despite all the hate its getting Marvel studios did rather well with it, the entire cinema stood up and applauded at that the Stan Lee tribute during the Marvel Comins intro, and im not gonna lie it did make me shed a tear, but back to the movie. It was rather well done specially the deaging of Samuel L Jackson, most people expected it to be a prelude to how she fits into End Game, but i found it was more of an origins story. 

Spoiler

I found Jude Law's character (the main villian) to be somewhat weak, and rather boring. I found her backstory to be as bland as tofu.. teh typical human meets science experiment gone wrong... except she was abducted by an alien race. 

Overall i give the film a solid 8/10. Make sure you stay after the credits have rolled through aswell.. it was shocking to see how many people were living after the pre credits scene had ended. 

I also have recently watched Hacksaw Ridge... holy shit what a film, one of the best war related films i have seen since Saving Private Ryan. 9/10 

Yeah it was good to finally see the de-aging done well. Coulson a couple of times looked slightly off, and there was maybe one or two moments where SLJ didn't quite look right (I feel like it might be the subtle movement of the lips, maybe). But this was hardly noticeable, especially compared to previous efforts of either de-aging or bringing an actor back from the dead. It looks like they've pretty much nailed the technology now, which could open up some interesting prospects for Hollywood.

I enjoyed the movie. Although I need to do some further reading to see where it all fits in. Could be interesting to see what she was up to between then and now too.

Anyone else seen First Man? I finished it today and found it very intense but well worth the watch. Amazing that they achieved what they did. I think I've mentioned it before, but there's a great mini-series called From the Earth to the Moon if the space race takes your fancy.

Is anyone interested in the next Top Gun movie? I'm certainly hoping it goes well, although it's been a long time since I've seen the first one.

5 hours ago, MasterShrive said:

Is anyone interested in the next Top Gun movie? I'm certainly hoping it goes well, although it's been a long time since I've seen the first one.

frothing for this !!!

I watched a movie called Concussion on Netflix last night - really interesting from a sports perspective and the impact head injuries can have on players. It's NRL based, but it's certainly an eye opener.

Just got back from seeing IT Chapter 2, was rather good, i can understand why people are saying it wasn't as scary as the first one, but it definitely has its moments that made me almost jump outta my seat lol. 

8/10