MasterShrive

Star Wars *Contains Spoilers*

Anyone else think Kylo Ren looks very similar to Pench. If he dropped the beard, similar face and hair???!

Wtf happened to Captain Phasma?? An intriguing character, first female(?) Storm Trooper! Just poof, bring down the shields, say a few lines, gone. 

I liked how Solo met his end, probably the high point for me. Lots of good cinematography in that scene. Awesome.

Finally they've gone into humanising Storm Troopers, very interesting aspect if you've thought about what might be the reason that troopers can't shoot well vs rebels. (Spoiler, because the rebels are shooting at a faceless emotionless object vs the troopers seeing the people they have to shoot. There's a whole discussion on this, also relates to the WWI and II) 

Rest of the movie, just felt like a lip service. A setup for the next movie(s). This is pretty much how Ep 1 went then hit it's stride in Ep 3.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm torn how I truly feel about it. 

The only post that actually had any spoilers in it and phoby didn't even put it in spoiler tags, perf.

You seem to have the same problem all my star-wars friends had with it phoby YOU SET YOUR GOD DAM EXPECTATIONS TO HIGH YOU VAGABOND!

If you actually break down this movie from a purely cinephile point oif view and you take the stawars fandom out of it, it is just as good if not better than 4 and 6 (I still think 5 is the best)

The movie had just as many flaws as the standard blockbuster than comes out but.  Ranking them form best to worst i think its 5,7,4,6,3,2,1. 

It's just another really solid popcorn flick and is worth watching even if your not a Starwars fan. 

Replies to Phoby:

Anyone else think Kylo Ren looks very similar to Pench. If he dropped the beard, similar face and hair???!

I had to stop myself from saying "hey look, it's Pench" when he took his helmet off. And I was sitting with three other people who knew exactly who Pench was. I'm sure we were all thinking it.

Wtf happened to Captain Phasma?? An intriguing character, first female(?) Storm Trooper! Just poof, bring down the shields, say a few lines, gone.

I thought this too. I was expecting something more. Perhaps in the next films, as they did have to juggle screen time for the new characters and the old.

I liked how Solo met his end, probably the high point for me. Lots of good cinematography in that scene. Awesome.

I think that scene is going to take me some time to process. It'll be interesting, in another ten to fifteen years time, when people look at all nine movies together, so see how that sits in terms of shocks for people new to the films. I was kind of hoping we'd see a bit more Han/Leia interaction - but there just wasn't time.

Finally they've gone into humanising Storm Troopers, very interesting aspect if you've thought about what might be the reason that troopers can't shoot well vs rebels. (Spoiler, because the rebels are shooting at a faceless emotionless object vs the troopers seeing the people they have to shoot. There's a whole discussion on this, also relates to the WWI and II)

Very true - there's numerous long, long, LONG explanations as to why they're really very good shots. The fact they hip fire everything probably doesn't help either :P

Rest of the movie, just felt like a lip service. A setup for the next movie(s). This is pretty much how Ep 1 went then hit it's stride in Ep 3.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm torn how I truly feel about it.

I think it's going to take years to really work out where we sit with this movie. I've always liked the PT, but that said Ep I was the first Star Wars film I ever saw (then IV, V, VI and finally II - because II had just come out in the cinema and Channel 9 was showing the rest in order on TV. So this is the first time I've started a new trilogy by going to the cinema, and I'm not sure how I feel about it all just yet. Hopefully IX lives up to III in terms of grand conclusions.

Got any thoughts on who the top villain is this time around?

If you actually break down this movie from a purely cinephile point oif view and you take the stawars fandom out of it, it is just as good if not better than 4 and 6 (I still think 5 is the best)

I certainly can't take off my rose-tinted-Star-Wars glasses, but I am surprised it's received such amazing reviews. I'm not complaining, but it's presently got ratings as high as IV and V, and ESB usually comes out on top on most lists. So I'll be interested to see if that still stands once all the hype has died down.

A couple of tiny things I also noticed. Not having the Fox Studios intro at the start is such a shame :( There's no better intro for the opening crawl (although thank crickey we didn't end up with the Disney castle there, lol). And seeing JJ Abrams come up as the first credit instead of Lucas was a bit jarring. Just shows its been a real changing of the guard.

I liked it but I'm torn how much I like it. 

Couple things about the movie:
  • The girl was great i knew from the photos that she would be a good character and she didn't disappoint. Only downside she goes from hearing stories about the force, to oh no its real, to hey i can jedi mind trick, to I can force pull better than a Sith who has received training and just killed his own dad so he should be next level. I was cool with her knowing how to use a light saber as she uses the staff thing to fight. I understand she is the next chosen one but yeah nah! 

• Robot soccer ball - This character was done great. The scene with the thumbs up with the lighter thing loved it. Coming down the stair step by step don't know why but it was awesome lol

• The black dude, I told my friend as soon as i saw the trailer I don't like him. lol  Ended up really disliking his character to the point where if he wasn't in the movie it would have been better. It sucks cause the idea of his character i really like a storm trooper  having enough and leaving and the rebels using his knowledge to fight back. 
               - In my opinion he should have been portrayed as more of a harden solider because he was taken as a kid and all he knows is being a Storm trooper. You could have still achieved if not achieved more from the audience getting behind this character.
  • Han and Chewie - What can i say this is the first time they have brought back characters and it was done right. I loved it. All the lines and all the jokes involving them was great. Very happy.

•  Storm Troopers - They had a better feel to them. It was good. I personally want them to be more bad ass. I want to see more rebel scum get owned. lol

•  Emo Darth Vader -  When he took off his helmet i was like really... I understand he is a teen but really did we need to see him acting like one. I don't know see how he goes in the next movie.

• Death star ( 2.0, 3.0, what are we up to? ) - Really, did it have to be another one. Oh no but this one is bigger. lol It took out a bunch of plants and zero fks were given cause its been done again and again. Whatever i'll leave it. 

Just me nitpicking at things. All up I did enjoy the movie enough that i want to watch it again and zone out more and just enjoy the movie. I see they played it safe and played it in a way to bring new people in which I'm cool with. It's been set up for two more movies and I want to know what happens next. So yeah it was good. 

Replies to Phoby:

I thought this too. I was expecting something more. Perhaps in the next films, as they did have to juggle screen time for the new characters and the old.

Isn't it implied that she went for a ride down the garbage chute? Not sure how she'd escape the big kaboom. I doubt she's dead though - she's there for a reason... unless they had to cut a lot of her scenes!?

Replies to Phoby:

Isn't it implied that she went for a ride down the garbage chute? Not sure how she'd escape the big kaboom. I doubt she's dead though - she's there for a reason... unless they had to cut a lot of her scenes!?

I honestly can't remember what happened to her, but you might be right.

I was cool with her knowing how to use a light saber as she uses the staff thing to fight.

I didn't mind that she could wield the thing, as it had clearly been shown that she knew how to fight. However, there's a very big difference between two non-force users playing with sabers and a force-sensitive and well trained individual taking on someone with no training. Hell, Luke couldn't even hit a training droid's blaster bolt when he started, and yet Rey seemed to have no difficulty. Not to mention the Jedi mindtrick thing. Sure, she might have heard the old stories about what they could do, but again, with no training... well I feel a lot more explanation needs to be given here. Look out once Luke has actually trained her up. And given this is saga is meant to follow the Skywalkers, that either means she's Luke's kid or we'll be following Kylo's journey for the next two movies. Given we know nothing about her family, I suppose Luke being her father is possible, but I'm not sure how that will go down. We've already had two mysterious "father" storylines in regards to both Luke and Anakin.

This is going to be a lot of work putting everything in spoiler tags even though we're in the spoilers threads. Thoughts on ditching them? Surely no one is coming to this thread who hasn't seen it yet?

I agree with everything Jebus said bar the Kylo thing.

He is an angsty teen/young adult except the actor plays him like you actually believe. He is clearly a a bit crazy, looses it with his light-saber when he is pissed (when the two storm troopers walk the other way after rounding the corner, loved it) or him punching his wookie-inflicted wound.  He knows he is weak and is striving to be vader but he s just so corrupted and messed up. I hope we find out more on his backstory though. 

How well fin did against Kylo was the worst part of the films consistency (devils advocate it and say that he was injured ). Maybe Snoke should of trained that storm trooper who owned Fin with that weird electrical baton thing (btw, how does he know Fin's a traitor when he yells that out to him?).

I think the fight at the end would of played out much better if they worked together to do damage to Kyle so he was weakened and then fin goes down (btw, saber to the spine is a cool way to take a character down) and then Rey can best a even more wounded Kylo on her own if JJ feels he needed to have it end that way.
Although the cinematography and the dirty realistic choreography were spectacular (use of the hilt for all the haters!, which i still don't understand why people hate on this. the amount fo people who have lost there god dam fucking hands in a light saber duell eventually someone was going to be like "hey, maybe a hilt?"), the way the trees were going down was perfect.

I have heard teh idea of Finn being less fish out fo water and more soldier and i like this far better, especially considering they mention eh has never acted rebellious before (al;though he was on sanitary, so maybe the first order were getting desperate)

Also, just had a thought. Phoby and Shrives form people who do not hate the prequels, how does this movie stack up to you two? 

I know you kind of answered it shrives. 

Edited by Blueberry

Revenge of the Sith, this, ep 4,5,6 then the rest 

Haha Blue, I didn't have my expectations high! I mentioned the other night I thought they would play it safe with this one and build into in the next ones. It's pretty much like Battlefront. Going with the safest conserved option.

Oh and Simon Pegg was in this....He was the guy/alien trying to net BB-8 out side of Rey's AT-AT apparently.

I'm quite happy with it, especially now that I've done a lot more reading about a few different theories. To be honest, I don't really play favourites with any of the movies, but I'd say it's started the next trilogy well. But I am very hesitant to judge it properly because it's really only one-third of a complete arc.

That said, I did think there were a few too many similarities with ANH, especially in regards to the Starkiller weapon (what, really, the superweapon has a flaw we can exploit and we have to do it before it blows us all up?!). But anyway, I got over that relatively quickly, and I did think it was a pretty cool concept. In a decades time, I'm sure people will say they should have used the Starkiller in Episode VI instead of the Death Star 2.0.

I agree with what you say above Blue about Kylo - he's got a lot of spoilt brat about him, which is a throwback to the way Anakin acted a lot of the time. I'm not sure how powerful he actually is in the force, but he certainly hasn't mastered it yet. There's speculation going around that perhaps Rey was trained as a child and is actually very strong in the living force. And perhaps when things went down with Kylo to destroy the rebuilding of the order she was then exiled for her own safety and had her memory wiped or some such. It's a bit of a stretch, but there needs to be something more there.

An interesting tidbit - the hilt blades are actually exhaust ports. Kylo built his saber with a cracked and unstable crystal, which not only gives it the exhaust ports but is also why the blade looks fuzzy (because it's unstable) as opposed to the nice clean look of a normal lightsaber.

Interesting about the vents.

In regards to rey, this crossed my mind about she was already being trained and i really hope she isn't a skywalker because that's just so god dam fucking boring, lazy and cliche`.

The real issue i have with this theory is if she was exiled to protect her then why did luke not take her with him? If his plan was to hide the fuck out then...like...hide the fuck out together. Was he that overcome with guilt that he didn't trust himself? 

I guess we will see in another two years if we get some answers.

Yeah good questions. And I'm not sure. I agree it would be lazy, but I'm also not sure where else they're going with it because this is meant to be about the Skywalker family, with each trilogy about the next generation. In theory.

I thought the going theory was it's all R2-D2's story.

I wouldn't mind if Luke never had a kid (say he is trying to stick to the idiotic no love for a jedi thing) and when he is finding and training all these force sensitives with Kylo/ben being his first and best pupil. Until he find Rey who is like super potential force user and Luke starts focusing on her/pays her a little too much attention and Kyloben (see what i did there) get all jealous and looks for more power to become the best and via some means gets seduced by snoke/ goes a ltittle crazy and thinks vader is talking to him and telling him to be strong. and the story goes form there.

The story is told from his perspective, as he's present for the lot of it. However, he is just telling the story of the Skywalker family.

And I do like that thought Blue. Guess we will see.

Any takers on Snoke? Has he been behind the scenes the whole time? What's his deal?

Oh wow, i was kidding about the R2-D2 thing, is it actually cannon?

I have no idea about Snoke although i heard he was the guy who trained sidious from shoes. Idkl his source. I try not to read up on movies anymore. I went into this one knowing nothing about it but the first teaser trailer (blah blah had the force one)

Yeah, that's legit. I think Lucas has said it. As unlike C-3PO, he doesn't get his memory wiped at the end of the PT.

RE Snoke, there is a theory he's Darth Plagueis and that he wasn't actually killed by Sidious but just severely maimed (this his current look). I'm not sure I buy that, but at the same time I don't just want some generic bad guy.

man what a great movie.

i know it has some floors but as a star wars nut who went in pretty blind i came out very very happy!

i agree with most of the comments that i would have likes rae to not be so good with the light saber but i also think rylo was pretty injured which helped a lot

a lot of speculation that snoke is actually darth plagueis which would be a interesting twist (seems i cant type fast enough shrives:) )

i thought the cinematography was pretty good and im disappointing that jj abrams wont be doing the next couple.

Edited by RallyMan

The Darth Palageius theor doesnt hold up Shrives since I believe he never learnt how to transform his spirit from one body to another, in saying that however I'm pretty sure Snokes is the previous Emporer who managed to transfer his spirit as he was falling into the DeathStar, I predict that once Luke reveals himself again and they kill Snokes/Palpatine that he will take over Luke's body. My next tinfoil hat prediction is that Rey will be Luke's child hence the foresight that she had when she touched Luke's saber, all of the Skywalker's have had this. Also if I'm ever a little bitch like Kylo Ren is I welcome you guys killing me :P

I don't think the Plagueis thing necessarily holds up... but at the same time I'll be really annoyed if they've just revived Sidious again. The fact is we don't know enough about Plagueis at this stage (and possibly never will), but it is implied that he could be the guy who used the Force to create a Chosen One. If he truly was that powerful, then perhaps he's done a transfer... but again, I don't really know about that. On a side note, I really enjoyed the Darth Plagueis novel, which had him still alive during the events of TPM - but I'm pretty sure that book is now considered non-cannon, which is a bit of a shame.

The big issue at the moment is this: we've had one top dog bad guy for six movies who manipulated everyone around him and created an Empire because of it. He was so powerful he brought down the entire Jedi Order. So if this Snokes guy is Sidious, it's going to feel pretty cheap in my opinion; but if it's not Sidious, then how do they make him as grand as the previous villain while also trying to tie him into the movies that came before?

I won't be surprised if Rey is Luke's child and I suspected as much almost as soon as we saw her in the trailer - but we're going to have to wait a while on that one.

Maybe this is non-canon now but didn't Sidious learn how to cheat death from Plagueis and didn't really die when he was thrown by Vader.

Not technically correct. In the old EU, he cloned himself and I think he worked out how to transfer between bodies (but I'm not quite sure on that part). There was a storyline where Luke turned to the dark side under a clone of Sidious, but obviously came back to the light side eventually and finished the dude off once and for all. Reviving Sidious wasn't overly well received when they did it in the books and I imagine it would be the same in the films if they tried it, but I could be wrong.

Not technically correct. In the old EU, he cloned himself and I think he worked out how to transfer between bodies (but I'm not quite sure on that part). There was a storyline where Luke turned to the dark side under a clone of Sidious, but obviously came back to the light side eventually and finished the dude off once and for all. Reviving Sidious wasn't overly well received when they did it in the books and I imagine it would be the same in the films if they tried it, but I could be wrong.

Ahhhh, that's how it went!

The books are non canon so I wouldn't base your theories on them.

Having said that I'm not a theory man anymore, I much prefer to know bare minimum and just enjoy the experience. People's opinions are always swayed based on expectations they have produced in their head.