Sign in to follow this  
MasterShrive

The Lord of the Rings And The Hobbit

Really... a 310 page novel cut into 3 movies... I want to see it in one sitting in a single movie :rant:

Next up a reboot of King Kong in 10 parts of 3 hours each :-?

The heads of all three studios involved, MGM, Warner Bros and New Line, all issued statements soon after Jackson's supporting his creative vision.

The Lord of the Rings franchise is a lucrative one and the studios will want to keep it going as long as possible (Warners' decision to serve up the final Harry Potter book in two chunky installments earned the studio an extra billion dollars at the box office).

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mo ... z22HLsRZCa

No shit Sherlock... money, money, money, money, moneeeey...

I like the idea, as long as Jackson pulls it off. He did The Lord Of The Rings justice, so I'm hoping it is the same here. Maybe he'll find some gems in the Appendices and/or the Silmarillion for something further.

Yeah I think he is pulling it off already... :-(

The Fellowship of the Ring - 531 pages

The Two Towers - 410 pages

The Return of the King - 624 pages

Now there is a basis for a Trilogy.

What he could do is complete The Hobbit in one movie; then make a Trilogy comprising a movie for each of the three novels of The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist - Magician (545 pages), Silverthorn (352 pages) & A Darkness at Sethanon (425 pages). That would be epic.

Then he can continue into the rest of the Riftwar Cycle... that'll keep him busy.

The Hobbit in 3 movies:

One - Gollum (Subtitled: Gandalf's Excellent Adventure) (90 minutes)

Gandalf tricks Bilbo into hosting a party for Thorin and his band of dwarves, who sing of reclaiming the Lonely Mountain and its vast treasure from the dragon Smaug. When the music ends, Gandalf unveils a map showing a secret door into the Mountain and proposes that the dumbfounded Bilbo serve as the expedition's "burglar". The dwarves ridicule the idea, but Bilbo, indignant, joins despite himself.

The group travel into the wild, where Gandalf saves the company from trolls and leads them to Rivendell, where Elrond reveals more secrets from the map. Passing over the Misty Mountains, they are caught by goblins and driven deep underground. Although Gandalf rescues them, Bilbo gets separated from the others as they flee the goblins. Lost in the goblin tunnels, he stumbles across a mysterious ring and then encounters Gollum, who engages him in a game of riddles. As a reward for solving all riddles Gollum will show him the path out of the tunnels, but if Bilbo fails, his life will be forfeit. With the help of the ring, which confers invisibility, Bilbo escapes and rejoins the dwarves, improving his reputation with them. The goblins and Wargs give chase but the company are saved by eagles before resting in the house of Beorn.

Two - Smaug and the Lonely Mountain (90 minutes)

The company enter the black forest of Mirkwood without Gandalf. In Mirkwood, Bilbo first saves the dwarves from giant spiders and then from the dungeons of the Wood-elves. Nearing the Lonely Mountain, the travellers are welcomed by the human inhabitants of Lake-town, who hope the dwarves will fulfil prophecies of Smaug's demise. The expedition travel to the Lonely Mountain and find the secret door; Bilbo scouts the dragon's lair, stealing a great cup and learning of a weakness in Smaug's armour. The enraged dragon, deducing that Lake-town has aided the intruder, sets out to destroy the town. A noble thrush who overheard Bilbo's report of Smaug's vulnerability reports it to Bard, who slays the dragon.

When the dwarves take possession of the mountain, Bilbo finds the Arkenstone, an heirloom of Thorin's dynasty, and steals it. The Wood-elves and Lake-men besiege the mountain and request compensation for their aid, reparations for Lake-town's destruction, and settlement of old claims on the treasure. Thorin refuses and, having summoned his kin from the mountains of the North, reinforces his position. Bilbo tries to ransom the Arkenstone to head off a war, but Thorin is intransigent. He banishes Bilbo, and battle seems inevitable.

Three - Battle of Five Armies (90 minutes)

Gandalf reappears to warn all of an approaching army of goblins and Wargs. The dwarves, men, and elves band together, but only with the timely arrival of the eagles and Beorn do they win the climactic Battle of Five Armies. Thorin is fatally wounded and reconciles with Bilbo before he dies. Bilbo accepts only a small portion of his share of the treasure, having no want or need for more, but still returns home a very wealthy hobbit.

Orrrrrrrrr.....

Make it in one 4 hour movie (by removing 2 lots of 15 minute credits) and then move on... to The Riftwar Saga and beyond...

Well I watched this last night with Nath (and our sister - she was on Skype from Greenland) and I quite enjoyed it. I can understand if people didn't like it, but I thought it was well worthwhile and I can't wait for the next two.

LP is there talk of making a movie for the Riftwar Saga? Because to date they are my favourite fantasy style novels ever! LOTR was the hardest thing I have ever read and not because it was too hard for my small brain to manage. It was just so boring and in silly detail of stuff I didn't care about.

My enthusiasm to watch the Hobbit is pretty small. I'll probably just download it when it becomes available. I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy but I was never a die hard fan of it and now they want me to go back before it all happened.... errrrr no.

Actually just a quick note. I watched it in 3D 48fps at the cinema and is one of two times in which i think the 3d was any good, the other being Avatar, and i think the 48fps should be experienced at the cinema.

Yeah, we didn't get to see it in 48 fps which was disappointing. I wanted to see if I could notice a difference. Obviously wasn't in 3D either (which I'm not complaining about).

Not available. Jackson wanted everyone to watch it in 48 3D

whatdoyamean?

once again i've probably misread the partially written ramblings of shrives/blue but for shrives sake, it's available in 2D 24fps, 3D 24fps and 3D 48fps (listed as high frame rate or simply HFR). 48fps is only available in some select cinemas (typically the big chains).

i've seen it 3 times now. once in each format. when i saw it in 48 i initially thought that the projectionist had it slightly fast forwarded but as the sound was fine and synced fine i now suspect that the movement was a little more fluid. it was a little more noticeable in action sequences when they fighting "seemed" to flow a little better but it looked as though the backgrounds in the same scenes were a little more blurred which was hard to watch.

now i'm by no means saying it was due to the 48fps format...just what i observed compared to the other viewings.

blue, to a degree i agree that hobbit was cool in 3D. i too feel the only other movie to pull it off was avatar (maybe as these two movies are only a handful to truely film in 3D and not post process it in). but i still feel it wasn't REALLY good. i loved the depth of field and sense of height it created but some of the bokeh shots (ie. sharp focus point and blurred background) did not work as it looked like the subject of interest was pasted to the foreground and everything else was in the background with no middle ground. i'm just being picky now but i'm sure with time the techniques will adapt and improve.

but not half arsed 3D at 24 fps.

LAWL

funny how when a gimmick is marketed, all of a sudden the long standing, tried and tested, industry standard for decades is considered "half arsed" :P

I think i might of misunderstood Shrives. I was implying that it is impossible to see the 48fps without 3D (unless i am mistaken which i do not think i am). Also, the blurry back ground is a bit of eye trickery. The shots may appear clearing 24fps but they are actually just the same picture. When it is in 48fps it is easier to pick out the detail and quality of things as you essentially see twice as much of it.

The 24 often covers things up because of the blur so a set might look good in panning shot in 24, but in 48 your eyes see more of it and the finer details stand out so if it is not up to scratch it is more obvious. Means that set designers need to lift there game if this becomes the new standard.

but not half arsed 3D at 24 fps.

LAWL

funny how when a gimmick is marketed, all of a sudden the long standing, tried and tested, industry standard for decades is considered "half arsed" :P

I've never been a fan of 3D. I would have liked to see if 48fps changed my mind, but I've never considered it anything special at 24fps regardless of how tried and tested it is. And I've seen no marketing other than Blue's comments above where he said it wasn't too bad so I don't know how that comes in to it.

Next one will be December next year, forgot the name but they are all already made. They did it the same as lots, filmed all 3 at once because it was to expensive to move the crew back to an area they already filmed e.g all the scenes of the shire were filmed at the same time, regardless if they were in the first or 3rd movie.

Then they release it same time each year for 3 years.

Yeah, so we'll get this one later this year and then the last one (titled There and Back Again) 12 months after that. A good way of doing it really, with just some pick ups needed here and there in post-production. But it obviously means they have to have everything planned out properly. That said, I don't know if they have actually confirmed the release date for the third movie. At one point there was a rumour it might have come out in July 2014 instead (similar to how they didn't delay the last Harry Potter movie for as long). But I suspect they will keep it for the Christmas holiday period and make us wait.

It could come out in June-July as it is the summer movie season in America, but typically big fantasy movies like this come out during holiday season and the summer movie season is reserved for big action movies and comedies.