Sign in to follow this  
PistolKnight

Webcam

I just use the basic logitech one, an older model than your link ..it was cheap and it does the trick on skype no problem. the only thing i noticed with the cheaper ones is they need a bit more light in the room as the video can be a bit dark.the more you pay the better lens you get i think.

Lol. I'd be guessing you wouldn't notice too much of a difference in quality between something cheapish and something more expensive. I wouldn't necessarily go the cheapest out there, but given a video feed over Skype is going to get compressed anyway I'd say you don't want to spend too much. Do you have a desktop mic that can be used as well?

These webcam's come with a free computer. Pretty pricey though.

I haven't got much of an opinion on webcams but those logitech_australia guys on eBay are great. You won't find a better deal and they are authorised too.

What Kenny says about the poorer ones needing more/better lighting is definately true.

good pickup shrives, his laptop prob does not have a mic - ht have them fpr $48 so might drop by for one tomorrow thx for the heads up. thx kenny, bp and skitzo for the input

Yeah, pretty sure Duckz was just pointing out it has a mic built-in so no need to get a seperate mic if you're just doing simple/webcam stuff.

So anyway, nine years later...

It looks like I'll be needing to buy a webcam for work purposes. And of course, if it were to work for game streaming as well then that would be a bonus.

Anyone running one at the moment? Any suggestions on a model?

Logitech C920/922 seems to be, or was, the go to "base webcam" for streaming and the one I have used. They are pretty old now tho. You could easy get away with the 920 tho or if you want to lash out a bit and were seriously thinking of getting into streaming they have a 4k cam out now.

Sure there are other models out there worth a look I've just never used em. 

This guy has heaps of vids out on Webcams for Streaming. 

5 hours ago, bprc said:

Good luck buying one. Aren't webcams sold out everywhere?

Yes. Yes they are. I was a little late to the party, haha. So guess I'll just need this to drag on for a little while...

Just do like all good titty streamers do and get a DSLR and a capture card / HDMI link. 

Then you can have 4k and 60fps video :-P

2 hours ago, MiniSanders said:

Just do like all good titty streamers do and get a DSLR and a capture card / HDMI link. 

Then you can have 4k and 60fps video :-P

Well, with football training currently on hiatus I'm certainly developing some "assets".

Yeah, I bought the C922 back at the end of 2018 when I started streaming, and couldn't recommend it enough (max res - 1080p@30fps/720p@60fps). If you don't need 4K (like the Brio), then it's more than enough.

For streaming, I currently have it set to 720p@60fps, but previously I've had it at a lower res, and the quality was still good. I've tried it with 1080p/30fps, but I would say I preferred the higher FPS for the webcam, where Streamlabs OBS is also set to stream at 720p/60fps when I'm live.